Throttle linkage to Janveys

michaelc

I feel really stupid asking this but...

Does anyone have a picture of the way the throttle cable attaches to Janvey bodies? After an hour an a half trying, and losing a lot of knuckle skin, I've got a sneaking feeling I'm missing something here.

..and just in case you were wondering...

Tried reading the manual, not the same at all.

Tried a search too, but can't find anything.

And I have joined the club but the board won't let me register my details yet.

When i bought my Jenvey's on my last car i had to make a bracket to take the throttle cable.

The one in the picture is an extra purhcase, unless things have changed over the last 2yrs?

Michael.

I was confused by the linkage fixing on my Sport 1800.

I haven't been able to get a decent picture so I will try and describe what Westfield told me.

There is a black bracket attached to the engine under the centre of the throttle body arrangement, one end of the throttle spring is attached to it, there is also a hollow adjuster screw on the side of the bracket.  The inner cable passes through this adjuster from below then directly into the small hole in a brass fitting that is between the two halves of the thottle bodies. (The outer sleeve will be held by the adjuster screw)  There is a grub screw that will tighten up and clamp the inner cable into the fitting but make sure that there is a couple of mill movement in the pedal before it actuates the throttle mechanism. Job done except for the adjustment at the pedal stops.

Top tip though don't tighten it until you are happy because it will splay the end of the inner cable and if that drops out of the brass fitting you haven't got a hope of getting it back through. Trust me, plenty of scraped knuckles and expletives before I gave up and ordered another cable.

Hope this makes sense and is of some use, if you need anything clarifying  pm me and I will try and email you some pictures direct and maybe explain a little more clearly.

TED ;)  ;)

The fog is slowly lifting, so thanks for everything so far... but I still can't quite see it. This is getting ridiculous. I even ended up dreaming about the thing last night.

The config as I understand it is that the cable attaches to the pedal through a brass trunnion, passes through the small hole in the body, into the outer cable (which is jammed into the hole from the engine side), then at the TB end of the cable is another brass trunnion with a screw/washer/nut/washer threaded into its side.

I had assumed that this screw arrangemtn would then just attach to the the throttle lever on the TB - I ain't got anything like the fancy picture above, and there aren't any brackets on the engine.

I'll try to post a picture this w/e. Stick with me, chaps.

Does THIS help?

John

PS - I think Jenvey do overslung and underslung linkages. Do you know which you have? Perhaps if you ring them they can fax you some assembly diagrams?

Can I sugest posting a picture of what you have and then maybe we can come back to you with a sensible soloution to solve your problem, it sounds like yours maybe a home made chapy or of a differing manufacture.

Thank Steve - that looks a lot more like it - but if it works well without fancy cantilevers, why does everyone else seem to have them?

Also, I don't appear to have the bracket mounted on the engine which Ted mentioned above - did you just let the cable find its own route?

Michael C.

Thank Steve - that looks a lot more like it - but if it works well without fancy cantilevers, why does everyone else seem to have them?

I had something similar to Steppenwolf's, but found the throttle pedal too long, and so bought a Weber linkage and modified it to fit. You then have a bit of adjustment so you can set it up to suit yourself.