Serious understeer - help!

firecracker

I've only just started to get the feel of my narrow bodied SEi so have just started to push it a bit harder.  The only thing is it understeers loads and loads.  E.g if you go right round a round about  :devil: it will understeer about 3 quarters of the way round then the tail end will snap out putting you into quite a drift.  This is Ok if the roundabout is about 3 lanes wide!  So the question is how can I make the front end grip better into a bend and the rear end let go more progressively??  The car has an LSD if thats any help  :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• firecracker

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• Westfieldman

What tyres do you have (make and size)? Also, what pressures are you using?

Andy

If all the tyres are the same it won't be that

they well grip badly or well in the same way throughout the cornner

Try

Driving style

Incorrect tyre pressures

Incorrect ride highs

Incorrect geometry settings

Incorrect corrner weights

Badly adjusted anti roll bars

Driving style

Incosistant grip around the roundabout.

Yup, tyre pressure as a start.

How old are the fronts? Are they older (and therefore likely to have "gone off" more than the rears).

Also...

so have just started to push it a bit harder.

Depending on how good a driver you are and what you expect a RWD car to handle like, it may be that you're just going in too fast...

OK I'll go and try it .  The fronts are coming up for a change actually so it may be that. :t-up:

A friend who races one like mine reckons that the front end could go a bit lower too.  How will this affect it?

Lower centre of gravity will mean less weight transfer on to the outside wheel, meaning more grip is picked up from the inside wheel before it finally unloads and divorces all of it's duties to the (now overloaded) outside wheel...

General rule of thumb is that to increase grip at the front, you soften or lower the front, or stiffen and raise the rear.

The same rules apply for the rear, ie if you want more rear grip, soften or lower the rear.

Try not to do more than 1 thing at a time, otherwise you won't know which change had the best effect. Also, make a note of your starting point so that you can return to it if you make a change that produces a result you don't like. Make sure you conduct the tests over the same piece of road in similar conditions to the base line test so that the results are as consistent as possible.

It would be handy to know what shocks you have, as well as what the spring rates are. What engine and gearbox do you have, and does the car have ARB's at all?

Its a crossflow engine with rocket 4 speed gearbox.  The shocks are Koni adjustables - not sure about much more than that  :blush:

The car is a 1990 narrow bodied SEi and like I said earlier has a Quaife LSD.  There aren't any anti roll bars on it as far as I can see!  It also has a quick rack.

What type of LSD? Plate? ATB?

If it's a plate type, and it's set up incorrectly (for a much heavier car for example), I think that can induce understeer too...

Andy

Spot on Andy... :t-up:

:0

OMG, I think that's twice this year...

:)

Andy