• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

XE Engine Rebuild

pheatons3

Looks like Blatters knows something R.R.E. and Dunnell dont as they have both recommended them.  

Almost certainly ;)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChrisF

• pheatons3

• Blatman

• cidersurfer

Nice looking clutch Matt, I think you should just put it on the coffee table... :D

:D Oh sounds like you got to see it before I did then mate :D

My New clutch and flywheel are 6kg lighter than what I have taken out  :love:  :D  :p

No Problem  

Interesting debate.

I intend to use a Manta Gearbox (cos I have one) which has 14 splines against the ford boxes which have 23, so the paddle clutch Terry has is not of much use to me.  

Anyone else using this gearbox and if so which clutch did you use?

Not many folk use it TBH, most get a type 9 installed. It may be more expense now, but when upgraditis sets in (and it probably will...) the Manta box is not so handy for 'ratio swapping'. A set of decent ratio's has been the single best thing I have done for my XE powered car so far...

Oh and by the way a proper rebuild is bl**dy expensive. When you start adding up all the sundry parts like new head bolts (£69.33 a set), flywheel (£3.95 a set), front crank shaft (£10) and cam shaft bolts ARP rod bolts £60 etc etc. If you do a proper rebuild and not a 1/2 measure.

Ive also got a paddle clutch, recently had it out for inspection and looks as good as the day I put it in, and that was 3k miles ago.  I dont have a problem with it snatching and it came as a recommendation from SBD.

Based on all of the above...as I intend to use my car for a good mix of road and track I think I shall fit the paddle clutch as planned  :) ....I have two after all.

It's been an interesting debate with various differences of opinion  :t-up:   I guess until you use this type of clutch you can't form an opinion and even then I guess it's all subjective and depends on your expectation.

When I have some miles clocked up I'll report back my opinion of the paddle clutch option.

No Problem  

Interesting debate.

I intend to use a Manta Gearbox (cos I have one) which has 14 splines against the ford boxes which have 23, so the paddle clutch Terry has is not of much use to me.  

Anyone else using this gearbox and if so which clutch did you use?

Not many folk use it TBH, most get a type 9 installed. It may be more expense now, but when upgraditis sets in (and it probably will...) the Manta box is not so handy for 'ratio swapping'. A set of decent ratio's has been the single best thing I have done for my XE powered car so far...

Manta plate to suit vx flywheel is available from Helix. SBD can source you one for the same price that they'll sell you direct. Manta box is a lot lighter than the standard type 9 ford one, has identical ratio's & also has synchro on reverse making it good for autotests. I had one in my car once and it was a lot cheaper than the ford installation at the time - no need to buy a bellhousing as it bolts straight on. Fine for road car spec Westfield but won't work in motorsport. I had problems with bearings in the box when subjected to high engine revs, other than that it was a strong as a standard type 9.

Hope this helps :)

Based on all of the above...as I intend to use my car for a good mix of road and track I think I shall fit the paddle clutch as planned   ....I have two after all.

It's been an interesting debate with various differences of opinion     I guess until you use this type of clutch you can't form an opinion and even then I guess it's all subjective and depends on your expectation.

When I have some miles clocked up I'll report back my opinion of the paddle clutch option.

If you are going to use a non sprung twin plate paddle clutch I'd advise against it for track / road use. Non sprung clutches only work best with non synchro boxes i.e. dog boxes because they tend to shock load everything in the driveline. The weak point if you are using a synchro box will be the baulk rings within it. If you fix that problem by putting a dog box in it'll find the next weakest link in the chain, usually the prop UJ's, the diff / mounts or chassis wishbone brackets or driveshafts.

The best set-up for your application would be a single plate sintered sprung paddle disc on a standard cover with lightened standard flywheel. The springs in the disc will take the shock load out of the driveline & the heavier weight of the std lightened flywheel will save your sunchro's by reducing accelerations / decelerations between gear changes.

Hope this helps :)

I used the Manta box (Windys actually) when I first built my car. Good for road use....but soon found the ratios lacking when I started sprinting. Now got a BGH type 9 box and it's a much better compromise. Plenty long enough gears for the road; not optimal for sprint (1st is still too short for serious sprinters) but I find it keeps the car in its most useful rev range much better (less rev drop).

I also use a Helix paddle and find it great for road and sprint

The best set-up for your application would be a single plate sintered sprung paddle disc on a standard cover with lightened standard flywheel.

This is exactly the set up that I've got...when I said I had two, I mean't I have two single sprung paddle clutch plates, the one I'm using and a spare one.

Sorry for the confusion  :t-up:

Fine for road car spec Westfield but won't work in motorsport.

Indeed it will. But with both gearboxes having a first gear that is suitable for getting a caravan moving on a hill with it fully loaded and the family inside, it is hardly ideal. My point is that if (or more likely when) upgraditis sets in, it will be beneficial now to build with a standard type 9 in - it *could* save a lot of heartache in the future...