XE Engine Rebuild

pheatons3

He swears blind, he doesn't know any of you.  
Who  :D

and ................ Chris .................. swap for heavy duty clutch  ;) should be fine and much more user friendly for road and manouvering around paddock and trailer  :D  ;)  :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChrisF

• pheatons3

• Blatman

• cidersurfer

Okay guys point taken  :t-up:  ...the clutch is put together but the engine is not yet fitted so I still have time to change.

Are you suggesting the SBD HD plate  ???   or can I get the equivalent somewhere else cheaper....sorry to hijack your thread Paul  :blush:

Yukspeed do an AP Racing plate for £106 (ish) delivered, good for 200bhp. I've got the part number on the box in the garage if you want it.

I got my HD all from SBD last year - mainly to avoid chasing around various parts suppliers and having to double check part No's - one phone call - parts compatible, ordered sorted and delivered  :D  :D

Could you not swap/exchange your current unit and adjust any price differential ??? if it hasn't been fitted / used  :D

Paul probably won't mind hijack now as he seems to have got his engine sorted from someone called "The Revverend Everall" - whoever he may be  :D  ???  :D

Mark the clutch plate came with the lightened flywheel and is new'ish  ;)  but not exchangeable.  

I don't really want to fork out more £££ unless it is absolutely necessary...but if the car will be a complete  :arse: to drive off track, then I will change it.

I actually have two paddle clutches  :oops:  ....anyone interested in a paddle clutch or two  :D  

Cider...if you can post the part No. for the AP plate from Yukspeed then I would apprecaite it :t-up:

Cider...if you can post the part No. for the AP plate from Yukspeed then I would apprecaite it :t-up:

CP5351-1

Organic steel backed driven plate 1" x 23 spline, 276 Nm (203 lbsft) Torque Capacity.

£108.18 delivered

HTH  :t-up:

Are you suggesting the SBD HD plate  ???   or can I get the equivalent somewhere else cheaper....sorry to hijack your thread Paul  :blush:

No Problem :D

Interesting debate.

I intend to use a Manta Gearbox (cos I have one) which has 14 splines against the ford boxes which have 23, so the paddle clutch Terry has is not of much use to me.  

Anyone else using this gearbox and if so which clutch did you use?

Paul

the clutch plate came with the lightened flywheel

Ang on a bit then........  ;) is the flywheel a lightened one or one of SBD's mega light and dinky ones  :)  ???  ??? if you get my drift  :D Can you post a piccie

Sorry Paul  :blush:  ???

The paddle clutch I used on lightened but standard diameter flywheel and clutch plate was no problem at all on the road!!!!!

Before I fitted it some people said it would take a lot of getting used to but IT DID NOT :p

Okay here we go...

Mark the flywheel is a SBD lightened one, but not the ultra light jobbie.  No piccie I'm afraid the clutch is already fitted.

Paul sorry but I can not help on the Manta gearbox...mine is a type 9.

Terry your comments interest me...and they may save me £££ :D

If I understand the basic's of the paddle clutch correctly and therefore the drawbacks, when using it for a car that will see road and track use.  It is just a matter of it being slightly snappy (so to speak)   ???

If this is the case, then I can live with it when the car is doing road miles  :t-up:

.  It is just a matter of it being slightly snappy (so to speak)    

If this is the case, then I can live with it when the car is doing road miles  

Nope. Remember, a paddle has 1/4 (roughly) of the surface area of a normal plate, so it'll wear out 4 times faster. Plus, the friction material is thinner than a normal clutch too, further reducing service life. I reckon if you plan on much more than about 3000 to 5000 miles a year, then the clutch will be an annual job...

Cheers Blatman...food for thought.

I have a week or two before I do my final engine fit....so some time left to decide which clutch to go with...all comments are gratefully received  :t-up:

No Problem :D

Interesting debate.

I intend to use a Manta Gearbox (cos I have one) which has 14 splines against the ford boxes which have 23, so the paddle clutch Terry has is not of much use to me.  

Anyone else using this gearbox and if so which clutch did you use?

Paul

Paul: Iam using a 2Lt cdx Carlton gearbox. I have found that a Carlton 2.3 deisel plate has the correct spline and is also the correct size (230mm) for my c20xe. I hope that is some help.             Geoff  :p

If its the standard SBD lightened flywheel - my preference would be for HD rather than paddle - for reasons noted by many above  :D  :D  ;) If you have 2 paddles - keep one and sell one  :D  :D

.  It is just a matter of it being slightly snappy (so to speak)    

If this is the case, then I can live with it when the car is doing road miles  

Nope. Remember, a paddle has 1/4 (roughly) of the surface area of a normal plate, so it'll wear out 4 times faster. Plus, the friction material is thinner than a normal clutch too, further reducing service life. I reckon if you plan on much more than about 3000 to 5000 miles a year, then the clutch will be an annual job...

???  I have had a paddle clutch in my Zetec car for the last two years with one trip to a RWYB drag race (now more than 5000 road miles + the RWYB). The pedal feel is as good as when I fitted it so dont think its worn out yet. I was recommended a paddle clutch by my machine shop as being better than a sintered type you the racing I will be doing with my Vx car. The sintered type I have been told are harder to balance than a paddle clutch. The paddle clutch will handle more power than an organic clutch as well. It is down to what you are going to do with the car. As for paddle clutches being just for boy racers  ??? Looks like Blatters knows something R.R.E. and Dunnell dont as they have both recommended them.  :D