Nikon COOLPIX 5700 / 8700

Bananaman

Thanks Nick. Always nice to have some extra info.

FWIW, the UK dealer Bananaman linked to is cheaper than anywhere I've looked in the USA, even with the dollar on it's A***...

As I said, the dealer I went to had no issue with matching the web price, and their web price was amongst the lowest out there. It was the general lack of enthusiasm and knowledge that put me off, tantamount to him standing there and saying buy it/don't buy it, I don't care. Most un American... Still, it's his loss...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bananaman

• Blatman

• Nick M

• steppenwolf

Having just bought a D70 I can say with a high degree of confidence that you won't be disappointed with it.

The kit lens is more than adequate for starters and you have the option of using some great Nikkor lenses in the future, should you choose to invest in them.

Nick

Although the 'Kit' Lens (I assume you meen the 28-80) is OK I wish I'd gone for the 18-70 ED lense (I also got a 70-300 version on this ED lense) as it allows you to use a lot more of the features of the camera i.e. apature/speed priority & semi-auto, as the lense has a chip in it that talks to the camera.

The web site i bought from dispatched for next day delivery, exhanged the case I'd bought for a larger one & were just a phone call away, I have to say they were very good to deal with & very competative on price. :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

I've not really used the camera in anger yet but am going to the lakes this weekend so will experiment a bit more.

Andy

P.S. The camera was new & came in a Box.... :p  :p  :D

ok, sensible head on today, I've decided to invest £12 in a monopod for my Ixus 430 and see if that get's me better results.............

cheers,

Greg

Although the 'Kit' Lens (I assume you meen the 28-80) is OK I wish I'd gone for the 18-70 ED lens.

No, the Nikon D70 kit I bought came with the Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom lens.

So it sounds like there's the official Nikon D70 kit (with the 18-70 DX lens) and a variety of other "kits" which are made up with different lenses.

Did it all come in one big box or were the lens and camera boxed separately ?

Either way it sounds like you got a good deal but it might pay to check what you're getting.  As an example, I could get the same "kit" you did over here for $890.

No, the Nikon D70 kit I bought came with the Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom lens.

So it sounds like there's the official Nikon D70 kit (with the 18-70 DX lens) and a variety of other "kits" which are made up with different lenses.

Did it all come in one big box or were the lens and camera boxed separately ?

Either way it sounds like you got a good deal but it might pay to check what you're getting.  As an example, I could get the same "kit" you did over here for $890.

The body & lenses came in separate boxes withing a larger box which was covered in pics & text of the camera (I assume thay have these made up for shipping the various kits out in ???)

I decided on the cheaper option and as usual regretted it, however I also got the NIKON ED - AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D  lense which is the one I'll be using for most of my personal use (Motorsport).

$890 is VERY cheap as apposed to £650, however it was a business purchase so in effect i only payed £330.

Ah, forgot you got the bigger zoom too.  That adds another $130 to my total then.

But you still got a good deal by the sound of things, certainly compared to how much it would cost from somewhere like Jessops !!

Ah, forgot you got the bigger zoom too.  That adds another $130 to my total then.

But you still got a good deal by the sound of things, certainly compared to how much it would cost from somewhere like Jessops !!

Bigger zoom was Extra........... & a fair bit more than $130 infact it was £270.......... they do the cheaper none ED one for about £70..........

Nice. 70-300ED added to my wish list... :bangshead::0:D

And at $130, I'll definitely be buying that in the States...

Find it incredable that this lense is $130 (£75) in the USA & £270 here................... :suspect:

Is it the same lense were talking about? & not the none ED which is £89 ?????????

Colud you give me a link to there website as i'd be interested in the 18-70ED lense if it's a simmilar price. :t-up:

Find it incredable that this lense is $130 (£75) in the USA & £270 here................... :suspect:

Is it the same lense were talking about? & not the none ED which is £89 ?????????

Colud you give me a link to there website as i'd be interested in the 18-70ED lense if it's a simmilar price. :t-up:

Errrr, different lens.  The non-ED version is $130, the ED version is $300.

Check out B&H Photo Video for decent lens prices.  It's where I buy a lot of my camera items.

The 18-70 DX lens is $340 if you buy it individualy.