Nikon COOLPIX 5700 / 8700

Bananaman

Hello

I'm after a new digi camera & was looking at the Nikon D70 as I've had SLR's B4 & want a camera thats gonna take a picture when i press the button not 1/2 second later :bangshead:

I recon the D70 would be far to complicated for me to really get the most out of it & it's a bit too expensive right now :blues:

Does anybody know if the Nikon COOLPIX 5700 / 8700 have a delay on them between pressing the button & the shutter going off? or have any experience of these cameras that they could share with me...... :durr:  :durr:  :blush:

Ta........... :t-up:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bananaman

• Blatman

• Nick M

• steppenwolf

Know what you mean. My first digicam - that is now demoted to Westy build fotos in the garage - is so slow. Press button, go make cup of tea then click.

My daughter has recently bought a Canon EOS300D that is fast, both in its autofocus and shutter release. She chose it out of other possibles because of this for photographing dog agility where the subject is close and fast.

I have seen reports but no first hand experience of later Olympus and Konica-Minolta models being quick, and without the swinging mirror of the D70 or EOS300D are a little quicker I believe.

I have tried, as an experiment to ditch big cameras and got a Konica-Minolta Xg. It's a good little camera and I take more pix than I ever did with a bigger cxamera simply because I'm prepared to take it with me.

Kerry S

I too have just bought a Canon EOS 300D (for Astro-Photography) and it is fantastic - if you are used to an SLR, you will love this camera as it handles and shoots just like a film SLR camera and you can always use it in 'simple mode' if you want to. This is a non-astro photograph I took while walking my dogs a few weeks ago in 'aim and shoot mode':-

deer.jpg

Currently the 300D can be obtained for about £625.00 BUT Canon will give you £100.00 Cash Back if you buy before the end of December - what a bargain!

My daughter has recently bought a Canon EOS300D that is fast, both in its autofocus and shutter release. She chose it out of other possibles because of this for photographing dog agility where the subject is close and fast.

[shameful advert mode on]

Your daughter 'may' be interested in the link at the bottom of my signature then!!

[/shameful advert mode off] :0:0:0

Nana's.

I had the same dilemma, but even the 8700 has significant shutter lag when compared to the D70.

Me, I'm buying a D70...

Sorry Bananaman, didn't intend to hijack!

Steppenwolf, what lens was that with and any idea on the shutter speed and apperture?  Handheld i take it?

Scruffy, the following is a dump of the photo data. The shot was taken with the camera resting on my fist which was placed on the top of a sharp fence post. The sun was at 2 o'clock with regard to the deer's head so I had to use 'levels' in Photoshop to compensate for the relatively dark exposure. I had only had the camera for a couple of days and had not learnt how to use the 'backlight compensation'!

File Name

IMG_0062.JPG

Camera Model Name

Canon EOS 300D DIGITAL

Shooting Date/Time

05/11/04 09:25:13

Shooting Mode

Program AE

Tv( Shutter Speed )

1/500

Av( Aperture Value )

Metering Mode

Evaluative

Exposure Compensation

ISO Speed

Lens

75.0 - 300.0 mm

Focal Length

300.0 mm

Image Size

3072x2048

Image Quality

Fine

Flash

Off

White Balance

Auto

AF Mode

AI Focus AF

Parameters

Contrast          +1

Sharpness         +1

Color saturation  +1

Color tone        Normal

Color Space

sRGB

File Size

2602KB

Drive Mode

Single-frame shooting

One of the benifits of digital - all that gets recorded with the image :D   Shame it doesnt work for ordinary film too :D

Don't want to be rude (its a cracking shot), but its not all that sharp.  On AF with film i'd expect to be able to get it a bit sharper.  is this just cos it was a bit underexposed to start or is it a problem with AF on digital images?  Maybe its camera shake, although with 1/500th i doubt its that.

I think it's a combination of the fact that he took a snapshot with an unfamiliar camera, then ran the result through Photoshop before posting it.

Good critique though. I bet he's flogging himself with nettles right now... :D:D:D

bl**** hell Step....Is there anything you don't break down into the minutest of detail???

On this occasion, the camera supplied all the data, I just had to cut and paste it!

Don't want to be rude (its a cracking shot), but its not all that sharp.

The original shot has been heavily cropped and was very dark. The shot below is an uncropped and unprocessed version of the original (although I have of course reduced the size) showing the original colour balance and field of view.

deeroriginal.jpg

Naturally, if I had focussed it myself it would have been perfect :D:D:D  Although the focal length was 300mm, with a digital sensor smaller than the film size, this results in an effective focal length of 480mm - hand steadying a normal 480mm lens ain't that easy!

From another forum reckoned Dixons online is the cheapest place at the moment!

Enter code DIXONS20 to receive £20 discount (applies to items over £200)

Canon EOS300D is £599 minus £20!

Nikon D70 is £749.89 minus £20

Free delivery at the moment too,

Thanks for the response (especially Blatboy) I guess it's back to D70 v EOS300D...........???