Hi i'm new!

Tronk

Hi i'm new and thinking of getting a Westfield.

I've got my heart on a Westfield with a Hayabusa engine.

Anyone who can be bothered to write as much info as they can on the car and things i should know would be much appreciated!

Any idea on the cost of such a car would also be appreciated!

Many thanks

Tim

Welcome Tim. Join the club,its well worth the cash as others will tell you. Good choice of engine but there not cheap.Someone will be along totell you more soon. What are you wanting to use the car for.

Also welcome,

Are you considering buying second hand, buying ready built from factory or building yourself?

Si

Another welcome aboard.

Bit of a general point though, questions like 'tell me all you know about the car' are really pretty impossible to answer. Browse the info on here, search for anything specific you don't see immediately, then if you have any specific questions, ask them and they'll be answered.

And join the club, the mag contains regular adverts that will give you an idea of what car you can get for your money (if you're considering buying second hand).

Andy

Thanks for the reply's people.

I currently do about 6000 miles a year and was looking for a weekend car and track car, basically a little bit of fun.

I was really after a price for the car. Factory built or second hand (obviously a good one).

Ta

Don't think I've seen many 'busa's up for sale to be honest.

Best bet is look in the obvious places on the net, FindIt and PistonHeads are the ones to look at first. Don't think there have been any on here.

I would imagine that sort of car is gonna be in the 10-12k range (but don't take my word as gospel). A 'good' 16V Zetec / Vx will be 8-10k, with an older 8V in the 4-6K range.

The spec tends to be more important regarding the price, than the age of the car. Age isn't as much of a factor as these cars tend to be lower mileage and fairly well cared for.

A new factory built MegaBusa starts at £22,999 according to the price list I have.

Andy

I'd recommend you try to find one you can go out for a spin in - they don't seem to be everybody's cup of tea! Mine's a MegaBlade and it's brilliant as a fun/trackday/sprint car. You haven't said where you are in the country - I'm sure most owners would be happy to show you round their car and take you out for a spin.

As a guide the Mega range kit costs around 10k, Busa engines these days are going for about 2.5k, add another k for a dry sump. Add wheels/tyres (500 for mine) and that's about it depending on what options you have (fancy shocks, carbon etc.)

Plusses are the very quick acceleration, nimble handling, ridiculously short braking distances, 6 speed sequential box and the noise they make at 10k rpm plus. Also relatively cheap on fuel, brakes, tyres, clutch etc. compared to any quick tin top.

Minuses are the clonky gearchange, reverse box, and noise when cruising on motorway.

If you want more chat on bike engined cars then visit the BEC Yahoo Group.

Have a look here - Busa search 3 Pages

Andy :t-up:

Welcome, I recon that you are looking at some thing around the £15K mark (+/-) for a good Megabusa, £10-12K would get you into a decent Bird/Blade engined car.

OR

£15K is about it thats what GeeFin wants for his Carbon R1 SEi, look in Cars for sale. Only down side is what do you upgrade to from that car??

Well you could get a car with a PROPA engine if you want some PROPA power. :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Thanks guys.

12-14K is about my limit. (23K is a bit out of my league)

I live in Derby and have been modding cars for about 4 years now!  I know a little but not enough to build my own, even though thats ideally what i'd love to do.  

I'm the biggest fan of little weight big power so if someone could recommend a better engine then i would like to know :)

Obviously the ideal would be carbon everywhere, lightweight wheels etc etc but again money is a factor.

If you can put up with the lack of comfort will these cars run every day????

Cheers

There shouldn't really be a problem running a Westfield as your main car, apart from comfort and practicality.

If you get a modern 16V engine, there's no reason it shouldn't be reliable. I've no experience personally of bike engines, but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to tell you how great they are ;)

Whatever power plant you go for, the car is likely to be light years ahead of anything else you've driven, even if you go for a relatively humble untuned X-Flow.

Andy

One of the reasons i'm after a westie is a good mate has owned a few TVR's.  He had a Tuscan then after some persuasion from me he bought a Cerbera 4.5.

They are my dream cars and although i get to drive them they aren't mine.

What with me not being rich by any stretch a westie seemed like the perfect option to keep up with him.... to a certain point! ;)

A bike engine in a car sounds nuts so thats what it has to be  :D

Tronk,

Don't give up on the idea of building it yourself unless you want it tomorrow ;). It is like a big mecanno set really (assuming you buy the kit as a whole from Westfield) and so is fairly straightforward to spanner together. I passed the SVA test on Monday and it took me almost 2 years (although work did interfere in a big way) and you can definitely build it quicker than this as most here will testify.

Prices for the Megabusa - 10K for the complete chassis Mega kit, 3k for the engine (scrappie job), 3k for options (dry sump, front and rear anti-roll bars, RAC rollover bar, nylon wishbone bushes, carbon rear arche protectors - I didn't get the upgraded shocks or the magnesium wheels (1.5K! ) ), so if you build it yourself you are talking 16-17K (with tools etc).

I might be the odd one out here but I actually like the "clunky" gearchange!  :p

At 60mph in 6th she pulls som,ething like 4-5 Krpm and can happy poodle at 30mph in 6th  :D

Cheers.

I'm not the most patient of people it has to be said.

If it was up to me whichever car i get should've been here yesterday  :p

2 years would've drove me nuts :D

Sounds to me like you want to do what I did, just get out and buy one :)

Once you're 'on the ladder' there's plenty you can do to upgrade the car you buy step by step. Failing that, they hold their value fairly well, so you can 'enjoy' your car for a while and then sell it on to upgrade to a bigger and better one :).

If you can stretch your budget to nearer 15k, then gee_fin's car (in the Cars for Sale bit on here) sounds a monster. It's got carbon everywhere, and has been prepared to a high spec for competition use, but could probably be re-configured at not too much expense to be less of a handful on the road.

Or you could start 'small' (you can get an 'entry level' car for 4-6K, or a good 16V engined car for 7-10K) and then once you want to make the performance step either start upgrading or look around for another car.

Every day you spend deciding what to do, you could be out enjoying the current gorgeous weather ;)

Andy

a westie seemed like the perfect option to keep up with him

from what I've seen at a number of TVR/Westie track days he will be the one that is struggling to keep up with you!

I 'only' have a 174 bhp Zetec and that has left many a TVR behind at Croft and Cadwell :t-up:

regards,

greg