Tailgating

Stuart

I'd take John's advice. Slow down to a speed where you think they will not hit you if you have to brake. I do this all the time (not just in my westfield) and I have never suffered from serious road rage because of it.

At the very least it makes it safer. At best they get the point (or just get bored) and drop back.

It also means that you get a good clear road in front of you so if you get bored doing 20 you can have fun for a few miles before you catch the traffic up again. :D

fortunately i drive a banger with a large tow bar.  my normal solution is to jump on the anchors as hard as i can initially and then slow down slowly until i stop.  i then pick up the crock lock from the back seat and start walking slowly towards the offending person.  its amazing how quickly the offending person finds reverse.

I have done this on the M3 and the A1.  very satisfying but probably incredibly stupid (cos im either going to be run over (both occaisions i have stopped in the outside lane) or get shot/beaten to a pulp)

on saturday me and wor lass were heading for the hills to go walking when some nunney starts tail gaiting.  when i found a suitable spot to pull over and let him go (the missus wouldnt let me stop in the middle of the road) he drove past waving two fingers.  it was then i saw he had his two daughters (about 6 yrs old) in the car and i was glad i hadnt driven him of the road (if only for there sake).

what i dont understand tho how somebody in a brand new car that cost 20k thinks i care enough about my banger not to hit them? i am a bit skint at the moment and was thinking if i stop as hard as i can (sorry officer thought i saw child in the road) and he hits me the whiplash claim would be great.

I HATE TAILGAITING nunneys!!!!

Sure we all hate a tailgater, but I am also sure we don't all always drive at "the appropriate distance we can stop safely in".

IMO the worst thing the person in front can do in that situation is brake test - really really effing dangerous if you ask me, we've all seen the ripple effect this can cause happen on the motorway. Just let 'em past... or burn 'em off!

< kerching >

moom

moomim - i tend to agree with you.  but when the red mist desends..........

Just let 'em past... or burn 'em off!

not in el cid :( the only thing i burn off is oil.......