Tailgating

Stuart

I am getting increasingly p******** off by dull b*******s driving far too close in speed limited areas where it is not possible to get away from them.  Seems the bigger the car, the closer they want to be - Mercedes drivers seem to be particularly bad, but a pillock in an Astra this morning is what makes me write now :angry:

I don't like having a tonne+ of tintop too close when all that separates me from it is a bit of space frame and 25 litres of petrol.

I have tried polite gesticulation but generally just get V-signs in return.  I have tried pulling in and waving them past but unless you actually pull off the road, some of them seem to be so dull that they won't go past.  Anyone any suggestions of how to get people to drop back without doing anything dangerous or generating road rage ???

I had this the other day on the way into work.

Where I work we all start between 7-8 in the morning, and it's the only place on that particaulr road. So every car you find in front of you is almost 100% going to the same place as you.

So for the last 7 miles of this 10 miles journey I had some nunney in an X-Type literally glued to the rear bumper of my Pug. When you're doing 50-60 and there's 1500 kilos of Jag half a car length off your rear bumper you get a tad scared of having to brake should the need arise.

Makes you want to stop, get out the car and tell'm to just back the f*ck off!!

I know how you feel.

DC

try tapping the brake pedal with your left foot whilst maintaining your current speed.....they may get the idea or just get fed up with a flashing red light  ;)

I did this to some chaps in a Max Power type Honda back in the winter time who were up my  :arse:  in the wet in the dark on the M23 even though I was overtaking cars at circa 75 anyway - I left ffot braked and simultaneously switched on the rear fog lights as well so the whole back of my tin-top lit up  :xmas:  never seen anyone back off so fast in my life!!  :D

p.s. .. i'm  a Mercedes driver! But i also get pisdsed off with 'em in any car .. esp my Rascal van (ok dont laugh!   :cool:  ) Left foot braking can also p*** the w*nker behind off to make it worse.. if u can just let the p*ss heads past.  :(

I've often thought that there's a market for an accessory device that drops a few millilitres of some sulpherous smelling compound into the exhaust or the air intake of your car at the proverbial "touch of a button". A cloud of synthetic gastro-intestinal (fart) gases shot out of the exhaust would solve the problem. Probably, though, there'd be some EU law against it! If people realised that the concentration of exhaust gases in the air is vastly greater in the interior of the car following another car or truck than it is by the roadside, they'd keep their distance more. If anyone, it's car drivers that need those sweet little masks that some cyclists wear.

banana or apple etc thrown out of the window towards the offending car usually works great :t-up:  (not that ive done this, ahem)

if not just stamp on your brakes a few times

This is an ever increasing problem, brought about where I live by ridiculously low speed limits such as 30mph on open out of town A-roads and the like.

I want to keep my licence clean and as such will not speed where there is the risk of radar traps and this does get following cars extremely frustrated and they do tailgate - my solution to this is to simply indicate left, as if to be stopping and slow down to let them pass. If they don't get the message and pass, I simply stop and then they have no option.

In my opinion, nothing else works as 'touching brakes' and everything else just winds them up even more.

Doesn't work on dual carriageways and motorways, but seems to be the answer for all other roads.

HTH,

Placid Minghis.

I couldn't, there was a queue of cars ahead of me as far as the eye could see, all going to the same place. This guy was just an ar5ehole!

the best and most subconcious solution i have found in my experience is to give your windscreen a good washing.

The washer jet excess goes up over the car, behind you and providing speed is about right covers their screen too causing them to have to wipe their screen. As i said, this usually subconciously causes them to back off. Not sure it works at 30mph, but definately 50 and above.

Give it a go and see for yourself

HTH

I have to agree with you on this problem, me and the missus suffer the same with idiots in say 30 zones, they drive at 40mph on A roads and come to a 30mph zone and try to carry on doing 40mph.

Ive checked and cant see anywhere in the highway code that says you must drive everywhere at 40mph!!!!

These are the same people that get annoyed when you overtake them in a 60/70mph zone, juts because your cars sporty and noisy....

I too have tried the Brake Test idea and believe me it worked with a guy in a BMW the other day, he nearly headbutted his windscreen....... :)

I find switching the antilag on in the Evo works quite well. Especially in the dark, bit of gas then lift off ... lights em up a treat  :devil:  :t-up:

Just gotta remember not to do it while towing the Westy  :blush: