Thinking of selling my baby!

gadrego

Its a bit of a bad time for me at the moment.  It looks like I'm going to be made redundant at work and I won't get much of a pay out having been here less than a year.  Having just bought a new flat, money is already tight without having to worry about two cars so I think I'm gradually being forced to sell the Westy.  I've only had it since April so this is all a bit upsetting.  Are prices generally higher at this time of year?  I'm hoping to at least recoup what I paid for her especially as I have spent a lot of money since I got it.  If anybody is interested in a 1990 SE with a very powerful XFlow under the hood and a few other nice bits, then send me a PM.  A for sale ad will go in next week unless a blat this weekend changes my mind.  Gutted. :(  :(  :(

Very sorry to hear that.

I know you were just getting in to it as well.  :arse:

If it's any consolation my car sold quite quickly but I didn't get what I wanted for it.... but that's another (long) thread

Not sure if it's viable, but could you just keep the car and not use it for a bit? That way at least you won't be spending money on it, and it'll still be there once things pick up for you financially. You could get a refund on the road tax and drop the insurance to just TPFT to cover it sitting unused.

It'd be a shame for you to sell it, then find yourself in the situation of being able to afford it again in a month or two...

Best of luck.

Andy

Cheers Studbuckle.  It is a shame but I know I'll get one again sometime soon so I'm staying positive about it all.  Like the new car by the way.  Looks like a beast.

Know exactly what you're going through.

Just put mine on the market after a month of soul searching and wallet shaking.

Still feel sick...

Its not so much the cost of running it thats the problem.  Tax is all paid for and insurance is dirt cheap.  The reason for selling it is simply to clear some debt and reduce my outgoings.  I got a loan out to pay for the car so it needs paying back.  Can't see anyway around it.  Did think about selling the Tin top but I use that 12000 miles a year and the Westy is looking at being about 1500 so I can't justify it.  One other option is to sell the tin top and buy a cheaper one but I like it too much to do that.

Isn't the loan insured against redundancy/sickness, etc?

Do you have any other insurance (house or personal, or credit card) that can help out with things like this?

Yeah loan is insured against redundancy but even if I was staying in my job I'd be seliing it now.  Its time to get out of debt I think before it takes over.  Once I'm on my feet again, I'll be back in the market for a Westy, rest assured of that.

So it sounds like a choice between tin-top or 7, which one tugs your heart strings harder?

I've not used my car in 3 years; having lost my job (twice), had kids (twice), but it's sat in the garage promising better times ahead - although I've had to move house (twice) in that time.  The irony being that when you have the time to work on the car, you can't justify the cash and vice versa  :(

Things are a little better now and I am pleased that I was able to hang on the the Westfield - am looking forward to giving it an air before the end of the summer  :)  assuming that it's an 'Indian Summer'...

So it sounds like a choice between tin-top or 7, which one tugs your heart strings harder?

I wish it was that simple.  I wouldn't mind getting a cheaper tin top but I do a lot of mileage in it and I like  to have a nice quick tin top because I think of it as my only car becasue I use the Westfield so little.  I've had cheap performance tin tops in the past and they invariably break down.  I think I would get about £5k for the Westy.  My Golf is worth about £8k so I am considering the possibilty of selling the golf and getting an older Mk 3 Golf TDi with a performance chip.  That would free up some funds and should give me reasonable performance at less cost.  Its an option I'm going to consider because I don't want to see the Westy go.  I think I'd cry.

I wish it was that simple.  I wouldn't mind getting a cheaper tin top but I do a lot of mileage in it and I like  to have a nice quick tin top because I think of it as my only car becasue I use the Westfield so little.

I also used to buy 'quick' tin-tops (my current car is a Focus ST170). However, since getting the Westy, I'm seriously considering just getting a 'sensible' tin-top next time (or perhaps keeping this one longer than I would normally) as I get all my driving smiles out of the Westy nowadays.

The tin-top just gets used for all the boring motorway stuff, or for when we're going away and need to take some luggage with us :)

If I had to change one of the cars to free up cash, I think I'd get a cheaper tin-top sooner than get rid of the Westy (using the argument that I can just not use it if I want to stop spending money for a bit).

But hey, that's me :)

Andy

I'm with Andy on this.  I haven't felt the need for a quick tin-top since getting the Westfield.

Mind you, tin-top priorites do change when you have kids  ;)

Thinking of selling my baby!, My Westfield, not a child

On a second thoughts, does anybody have a child they could sell for me to raise some cash?

Mind you, tin-top priorites do change when you have kids  ;)

Let's not go there, shall we? :)

I'm sure the combination of 5 door Focus and 5 door Fiesta will be fine should the need ever arise...

Andy