Lift Off Oversteer

Nick.Petty

Glad Jon has put his arguments so succinctly, cos I was about to say the same.......its always worked for me... :0  :0  :D

3rd'ed.

I've experienced this loads of times in FWD cars (mostly on purpose!;) and nearly always recovered by booting it+opposite lock. None of my cars have had LSDs  :(

fwiw the same technique also appears to work in my westy but needs a bit more finesse or you end up in a powerslide :D

Before the golf I had a rover 220GTi.  It came with crap tyres and was possibly the most dangerous car I've driven.  It had a lot of grip so you could be going round a corner pretty fast and the slightest lift would see the back end swing right out, not just a little step

Ding-a-f**king-ling !!  Quick, but brakes made from margarine and nasty handling traits.  Mine did exactly the same to me at about 75mph down a country lane - backed stepped out sideways on me over a bump.

Thought it was down to me but it's interesting that so many others have come up with similar comments about Rovers in recent threads.

The "disengage brain and keep foot hard in" approach to slide recovery does work with FWD - just because the wheel is spinning doesn't mean it doesn't eventually help drag the front of the car forwards to help straighten the car out.  But it does require a bit of practice to actually do it rather than automatically lift off.  But then, with the Rover, that was never too hard to organise....