Spotted...

adhawkins

Hi,

On my way up North in the tin-top on Friday night, spotted something 7-esque coming the other way on the M6. What made it really catch my eye was the fact that it was towing a trailer! :0

It was only a little box trailer job, but what a fantastic idea! Where can I get a tow-bar for my Westy? If I could travel and take some luggage with me then I'm sure the Westy would get even more use!

Andy

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago.

It'd be entirely possible to fabricate your own tow bar and bolt a ball onto it, weld it to the back of the chassis and providing you're only towing a lightweight trailer it wouldn't stress it too much.

You could even go to the next step and modify the trailer to suit.

:cool:

:D

It just struck me as being an excellent way of going away for a week without having to take a support vehicle! When we go up to Wales for the week in August, we're having to take a second car to handle the luggage :D

Andy

But what happens when you get it sideways - do you have to allow more or less opposite lock to cater for the pendulum effect of the trailer ...??

:D   Nick .....

Don't do it - A westfield was never designed to have a tow bar fitted  ;)  ;)  ;)

At best you could end up over-stressing your chassis  ;)  ;)  :(  :(  and breaking it.

At worse - it could nullify your insurance  ;)  :(  :(  :( . Then the creek would be very smelly and brown and you won't have a paddle  :(  :(  :(  ;)

Hmmm

Westfields weren't designed to take TVR straight 6 engines either or wheel racks attached to roll bars or etc. etc. etc.

Does that mean SteveD's car won't be insured or that he won't have considered the chassis/drive train strengthening necessary? I think not.

IMO the stresses will be no different, with correct engineering, for a trailer compared to a wheel rack.

Apply common sense and if you aren't sure get it done professionally (I can recommend Watling, in past they have designed and manufactured tow bars for me for a variety of exotics).

Notify your insurer and if they object or raise the premium, find another one which won't.

There is absolutely no engineering reason why a small trailer couldn't be used.

There is absolutely no engineering reason why a small trailer couldn't be used.

Mr Albert - Yep possibly someone with suitable engineering design qualifications and skills would be able to provide a design  ;)  obviously a weight limit design might be achieveable - but what has been mentioned here is not a design analysis - but more a simple case of weld a plate and tow bar on

But this modification and towbar fitment would surely immediately nullify any warranty provided by Westfield  ;)  :)

Straight six TVR engine fitment  :D  :devil: have you actually seen it  :D  :devil:  :D  ;)

and wheel racks - agreed this is another item to double check with your insurers  :)  ;)  I've seen em and no doubt folks find them very useful  ;)  :D

Would I use one  ???  ???  ???  errrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm No  :)

Trailers..........pah

Roof rack, anybody.................

416.jpeg

Le Mans 2003.........

When I had a tow-bar fitted to my last car in 2001 - due to the agr od the car (2000 X-reg) the supplier HAD TO supply a TYPE approved tow-bar !

Does this mean that tow-bars on recent Westfields must be SVA approved?

you could even get the back end of a Westy body and arches and make a little matching trailer.

did this with a mini several years ago

*Ding*

Thanks Arm. That's been bothering me for weeks.......... :D  :D