Which event in history.

chazpowerslide

If the universe is *everything*, and it's constantly expanding, what is it expanding in to?

Nothing - "Void" isn't simply empty space like I suspect a lot of people imagine it.  It's a place where time, dimensions and matter do not exist.

The universe is simply expanding and there is no boundary in the terms you're looking for because you could never reach it.  You might get very, very, very close, but never actually to it.  Ask Einstein.

Don't try the "outside looking in" approach - it makes no sense.

Best is to think of the big-bang from the inside and watch things expand around you.  Bit like being inside a balloon rather than outside it.

Carl Sagan's book Cosmos is a handy starting point, as is a Brief History of Time.  Haven't read the Elegant Universe but that's also worth a look too by all accounts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James

• Nick M

• Blatman

• adhawkins

A solider of  the 116th Infantry Division. K Company as they landed on Omaha beach at 07.30 on the 6th June 1944.I have been in some scary situations and many people including myself don't have any idea what those guys went thro' Nothing could compare with what the Yanks faced on that beach.

When I see any footage. I always wonder what I would have felt? at 19 years old & nothing but a boy as many of the 'grunts' were on that day. The smells, the noise, the fear of death and your mind playing tricks,wondering if you'd make off the landing craft never mind make it onto the beach. Where would you run for cover? how many friends would you lose? absolute incomprehensible  fear... those people and the rest of the fighting forces that took part on that day were proper men.

Buzz

Wow Buzz thats deep

During our Le Mans trip the wife and I visited the WW1 Battlefields at the Somme.......................................

Spooky

Amazing

Incomprehensible

Lost for words

During our Le Mans trip the wife and I visited the WW1 Battlefields at the Somme.......................................

Spooky

Amazing

Incomprehensible

Lost for words

I think everyone should try, at some point in their lives, to visit the beaches at Normandy or the Somme, if only to try and gain a sense of scale about the number of people who died in WW1 and WW2.

The military cemetaries are huge (and merely the tip of the iceberg) and so very many of them have no names, simply a cross or Star of David.

I think everyone should try, at some point in their lives, to visit the beaches at Normandy or the Somme, if only to try and gain a sense of scale about the number of people who died in WW1 and WW2.

The military cemetaries are huge (and merely the tip of the iceberg) and so very many of them have no names, simply a cross or Star of David.

Spot on Nick.  It really brings the message home.

1. 1st contact with a species that is not indigenous to Earth.

you mean the Welsh surely? :p

Buzz

I hope for your sake the Welsh Wizard's memory is shorter than the time between now and when she next sees you.

:D

Andy

Don't worry Andy I will remind him be sure of that!

Buzz :D

You definitely need to worry now...he is a she...

:0

Andy

1988 Italian Grand Prix.  The atmosphere there must have been electric.

Also found it a little spooky at the time - could his influence on F1 really have extended from beyond the grave ??!!  :0  :D  :D  :D

88? Was that the first one after Enzo died? The Ferarri 1-2 (Berger and Alesi was it)?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick...

Andy

88? Was that the first one after Enzo died? The Ferarri 1-2 (Berger and Alesi was it)?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick...

Yep, spot on  :t-up:  (except it was Berger and Michele Alboreto, RIP)

I can remember watching it and being on the edge of my seat !!

Mmmmm, had time to think now.

I would have liked to have seen 617 Squadren hitting the Amines prison with the Mosquitoes and releasing (a few) of the French Resistance fighters)

I read an account of one of the aircraft flying down the main street in Amines below roof-top level at 400mph, with the pilot avoiding telegraph wires, tracer fire and hopeing the street stayed wider than his wingspan (he got away with it)

I would have liked to have an eye witness view of the Kennedy assisination so I really knew "who dunnit"

I recon picking and choosing past Pink Floyd concerts to go to would be awesom.

GT40s winning LeMans (all the years but particularly  the Gulf era) has to be high on the list.

John Cobb setting the perpetual outer circuit lap record in the Napier Railton.

Apparantly he said it was like seeing hoe far you could lean out of a window without actually falling out (respect)

And for some strange reason (since reading my recently deceased Mothers diary for 1967) I think it would be pretty cool to see myeslf being borne  ???

Chaz.