So many questions...

RobC

Good idea.Buyone ready made like errm mine. 1600cvh factory built 5k (ish),ideal 1st westy,. buy it and blat it.It has plenty of scope 4 improvement,fiddle with it over the winter and hey presto ready 4 the spring.I had same choice 3 years ago and im glad i bought it ready 2 run or i would never have made Le Mans 02/03,infact it would still be a box of bits .Im told you need a 1000 hours or more and lots of patience 2 make a nice job. Im in west yorks if your interested in lookin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobC

• adhawkins

• perksy

• cidersurfer

I have been looking into this more :-) still looking at building one though. Not that keen on buying one that has been nailed!:D

And anyway half the fun is in building it :cool:  

Thanks for all the advice though now my questions will be more specific like engines and drive shafts and the like.... :D

Not that keen on buying one that has been nailed!

I wouldn't worry about this too much. The nature of these cars is that they're generally driven hard, but also well looked after too. It's generally obviously whether it has been looked after or not.

Even a mechanical numpty like me knows that these things need a little more TLC than your average tintop.

Andy

Rob.

Hi.

I've been a Westie owner\builder for 9-10 years. Don't keep up to date with the WSCC boardroom as much as I should, but just saw your old posting. Haven't got time to read all the replies sent to you.

I've documented all of my build on a web site and answer many of the questions you asked.

Follow the below link and you'll get a breakdown of costs. You'll see where it goes. £11K-£12K for the full thing is spot on with many others experiance.

Things such as a rolling chassis just "leap-frog" you into the build by supplying a load more bits already assembled by the farctory - so called 'cos when you get it delivered there's enough of it to push it around in your garage. Subtract the rolling chassis cost from £12K and that's what you'll need to finish it. Others spend more, others spend less, but this appears to be the average.

http://www.n-hatton.demon.co.uk/Westie/Spec/Costs/index.html

Go for it if you think you have the aptitude, some ability to learn along the way and some help from other members.

It was the best thing I ever did!

Cheers,

Neil