So many questions...

RobC

I know , nice I've also got Monday off too :D  thanks for the link currently watching it, and asked for more details. Cheers

Is the club meet this thursday? (i think that this is the third thursday?)

Jeff I will PM you later... once I have asked for permission :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobC

• adhawkins

• perksy

• cidersurfer

Yes that's right this Thursday 7.30ish. If you are going to Westfield on Saturday be aware that they will want you to order if possible. I would suggest you wait until you are sure it is what you want and are sure you can complete it. The reason there are so many part builts is many underestimate the task and the effect it can have on your home life. It has never been a problem for me as Jeanette is glad for me to go in the garage(it stops me getting wound up over the crap on telly, the goverment etc etc) but for others the thought of being alone every evening whilst you are out playing with cars is not something they relish. All being well I will be there on Thursday make your self known.

Jeff

You will not be able to miss me when I arrive :p  a bright yellow BMW is not something that slips by unnoticed :cool: or not

My wifes a teacher so I don't think that she will mind as I spend a lot of my time trying to amuse myself in the evenings... Building a car will take me away from my computer. Which is a good thing.

Is the MK a good kit? whats it like to drive? better or worse?

In my opinion a lot of the locost cars MK, Stuart taylor,gts are all good kit, Robin Hood less so. However the westfield will always be a superior kit to build and to own and will hold a higher value. You will spend a lot to get a Locost to look as good as a westfield overall. The driving experiance is all down to the builders skill and the quality of the parts used. If you look at say an mk with a bike engine you will get a super one for around £4-6K a Westfield will be £9 upwards performance will depend as much on your driving as the basics are similar car to car. I have seen fearsomly fast locosts panning expensive westfields and caterhams but they were extremly well driven where as the expensive cars were not being pushed with the same verve. It does all come back to budget the higher your budget the more trick parts you get. Buying used will always get you a better overall package for less. I bought some bits from a guy in bradford who had a westfield with VX2.0 16v with throttle boddies, dry sump, quaife box and diff fully rebuilt and reboddied, race seats, you get  the picture. He must have had over 25k in that car but was selling for 10K and was struggling to get that as it was so extreme for most, bangs for your buck it was right up there, ready to go. My first Westfield was £5k fully built with a pinto it was good but it was conferance division when the other was European champions league. You pays your money.

And I takes your point. So say I start out with a small (wimpy) engine. Can you then use the same car and upgrade to  bigger and better later on. When the crispy stuff comes my way?

Rob - yes you can... guess you can feel the "but" coming.

Don't shoot me down on the following generalised observations but a good part of the cost £25K that Jeff mentions will be in car parts rather than engine. As an obvious example drum brakes/standard  front disk calipers are fine probably up to 160/170 bhp. Same goes for 185 section tyres. Get much over that and you'll need to look at serious rubberware and brakes. Bigger wheels start to get really heavy so you'll probably want exotic wheels and ACB10's and so it goes on... :down: Dreaming of Fluke seats and throttle bodies is  the oxygen that keeps this website going. £40k should fix it :D

BTW mine is somewhat at the other end of the scale. Still a hoot though and because I have less to lose and drive it accordingly it holds its own on most trackdays. :t-up:

hmm, 200bhp+ is the ultimate goal, although my sites are much lower for the begining of this project

I am coming to the meet tomorrow :D do I need to ask for anyone when I arrive or is it red carnation and dark glasses  time again :blues:

I bought used and had a moderate amount of work to do to get it registered and a bit more to make it the way I want it. I wanted to build at first, but a lot of people told me that getting a used one would give me a chance to figure out what I want in a car and what I want to do with it. Cruise, get traffic tickets, occasional track days, race... Then one can build the car that one needs.

And I did get on the road faster and cheaper than with a build and am having more fun than I expected. And I expected a lot.

Rob - yes you can... guess you can feel the "but" coming.

Don't shoot me down on the following generalised observations but a good part of the cost £25K that Jeff mentions will be in car parts rather than engine. As an obvious example drum brakes/standard  front disk calipers are fine probably up to 160/170 bhp. Same goes for 185 section tyres. Get much over that and you'll need to look at serious rubberware and brakes. Bigger wheels start to get really heavy so you'll probably want exotic wheels and ACB10's and so it goes on... :down: Dreaming of Fluke seats and throttle bodies is  the oxygen that keeps this website going. £40k should fix it :D

BTW mine is somewhat at the other end of the scale. Still a hoot though and because I have less to lose and drive it accordingly it holds its own on most trackdays. :t-up:

Felters, I have to agree 100% Also, I'd like to add that no matter how many upgrades you've made or how much you've spent it'll never be FINISHED. There's always another step to take. I'm still thinking about taking my first few after 18months of ownership! But as you say what a hoot and I've 'only' got about 140 horses.   :blush:

Rob, I would always recommend the second-hand route, while you remain unsure. £4K will get you into a tidy Westfield, just be patient for the *right* car to come up and be prepared to travel and move quickly if the seller needs you too.

You mention upgrading as a funds allow, which is something we can all pretty much relate too around here, so I would add these words of wisdom. £4K is not going to get you a car with 200+ hp, or even a car with the potential to get there with out spending an absolute fortune. I would suggest you find a car that is as new as possible, and as *typical* as possible for your budget. This should mean that it will be more reliable/requiring less cash to keep it in good condition, and easier to sell on with minimal depreciation. Then when you will know exactly what you want and have saved some more, go and get that *right car* for you. Much cheaper I assure you.

Lastly, why the fixation with 200bhp? Even 100bhp in a good Westfield will be a world away from Tin Top norm; perhaps 150bhp would be all you ever need?

Best of luck,

Mark

point taken, I think after Saturday and Sunday @ jeff's things will probably start to sit a little better were I want to be with this project.

Big thanks to all at tonights meeting. Many questions anwsered, just need to get saving.... come on ebay! Sell:)

Will mail after the weekend

Cheers

evening all

i was the other lost looking one at last nights meeting

thanks for making me feel welcome and thanks to jeff for all tha advice

looking at another tomorrow - ive got a budget of 5 - 6k

looked at a crossflow se on monday - all the guages decreased in readings whenever anything like lights or wipers were switched on! Apparently this is common - anyone come accros this??

looked at a crossflow se on monday - all the guages decreased in readings whenever anything like lights or wipers were switched on! Apparently this is common - anyone come accros this??

Sounds like a dodgy alternator or regulator to me...

Andy