So many questions...

RobC

yeah it is common on older cars, but it is not right. The addage they all do that is not the case

Andy is right, or another possibility is poor earths, either way a few hours in the garage and a few quid spent ant it will be A1 again......welcome to westfield motoring.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobC

• adhawkins

• perksy

• cidersurfer

thanks andy - but was led to believe it was more complicated than that and a common fault with early westfields?

ps will check my spelling in future - too much friday night stella!!

:t-up:

Don't take my word for it, I'm not all that knowledgeable. However, Mark above seems to agree with me.

Either way, I'd get it looked in to, and don't just accept it as 'one of those things'.

Andy

another quick question -

on this car the gearstick was quite `forward`

apparently there`s a mod to bring the gearstick closer to the body - is this easy ?? :p

It was called "Westfield Shift extension" and guess what it did? However I have no idea if they still sell them.

The kit basically moved the linkage and pivot back towards the driver, I think it was only really needed on the 4 speed boxes, and did involve a few spanners and cutting a new hole in the transmission tunnel.

The other solutions, often seen, is a long but angled shift stick, so that it's closer, or a swap to a Type-9 5 speed.

Personally speaking, and it is only my opinion having never seen that car in question, there are lots of cars out there for your £5-6K budget, so be patient and find the one that suits you, or haggle hard.

Good luck.

The gear shift extension is worth doing.

Mine is an '89 car and it all works as it should with or without the lights on. Could be a duff battery or a number of other things. If the car is otherwise sound and you like it then make it a bargaining point... if it's a xflow then it won't be tricky to fix.

*Look out*....

You *CANNOT* fit a Westfield gear extension to a narrow bodied car without having to chop out and move a small chassis rail that runs laterally at the top front of the transmission tunnel, just to the rear of where the current gear lever is.

all the guages decreased in readings whenever anything like lights or wipers were switched on! Apparently this is common - anyone come accros this??

Andy's answer is wrong. It's a voltage regulation/earthing issue. Older clocks don't have built in voltage regulators, so as load in the loom is increased when you switch on lights, the gauges move. I ignore it... If you can't ignore it, then I believe you can buy voltage stabilisers to fit on to the clocks you have...

Andy's answer is wrong.

It's happened before :down:

Luned will be pleased, I think that's getting close to 5 times this year...

Andy

Hi again!

Visited the factory on Saturday as mentioned earlier! WOW! better than I thought it would be, driving the car that is... If a little wet.

Visitied the caterham showroom aswell seeing as how we were up that way, one word expensive! :p  but nice.

Anyhow budget is higher at 8K and I have decided to build rather than 2nd hand. Much to the shock/disgust of my wife. But ebay is looking up. :-)

Looking at either the zetec 1.8 or 2l will have to see how things progress on that one. But what do you guys think...

I am busy for the next couple of weekends so no time to run around scrap yards looking at shiny engines and other stuff :(  plenty of time for that though, need to safe the further 6.5k that I need to build it... This is going to be a long build I can see it now...

Thanks for all the help and advise of the last week. Really helped

If you have any more advise keep it coming.

Looking at either the zetec 1.8 or 2l will have to see how things progress on that one. But what do you guys think...

2.0l every time...

You really should be careful making statements like that.  People might quote them out of context and everyone will wonder what on earth has happened only 4 times this year, and nearly once more  :0  :0  :0

You really should be careful making statements like that.  People might quote them out of context and everyone will wonder what on earth has happened only 4 times this year, and nearly once more  :0  :0  :0

Na...in the context you're insinutating, everyone knows I get nowhere near 5 in a year.

:down:

:D

Andy