• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

So many questions...

RobC

nice colour by the way:D

Thanks, Fly's love it  :D

Yes, you need to tread careful, but if you take a member from the local area with you they will be able to advise.

I looked at a Westy once and it was wired all in one colour cable  :0

There's been a few well priced Westy's for sale lately and with £4-5000 you should be able to pick-up something nice.

Stretch the budget a bit further and your in 16 valve territory.

Go to a local meet and try a few for size, there's always members who will take you out for a run  :cool:  :cool:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobC

• adhawkins

• perksy

• cidersurfer

Can you sheed any light on the Kits that westfield do?

I think that the flies think it a butter cup or something my BMW is just covered at the moment

It always comes back to budget i'm afraid (Boring i know  :down: )

If you buy the Basic kit from the factory and source most of the parts yourself and do all the reconditioning yourself, then you can save some money that way.

I think the factory say around £13,000 for a SEIW with 1800 zetec,with them supplying the bits, then you've got SVA etc.

Visit the factory and take the tour, don't forget your driving license, take the test drive, and then go to a local meeting and have a talk with some of the lads there, some of them will have had the same questions that you now have  ;)

hmm, need to sell more stuff... like body on ebay:p

Cheers for that... driving license is about five paces infront of me

Is £4K your starting budget or your overall budget ?

As you've already said, that will not get you a rolling chassis (chassis, suspension, brakes, brake lines, aluminium panels fitted, bodywork supplied) You would then need engine, gearbox, propshaft, wheels/tyres, interior, instruments, lights, screen, rear diff, roll bar, seats, wiring loom etc wtc, if you get all these from the factory tou are easily looking at another £7-8 K.

There are usually a few part built/abandoned projects that come up for sale around this time - could get you quite a saving - if you find one try and take a local WSCC member with you to have a look at the standard of parts offered and how the work has been done. Try the monthly kit car mags - due out this Fri

I picked up last months today :( there are a few in there. I was also wondering about this. 99% complete kits could be the way to go. Like you say you need someone with you that knows the layout. A bodged kit is not something that I am looking for. I am wanting somthing straight forward with a manual.... Fixing someones mistakes will only become frustrating after a while...

Well all I can say is I am glad that I have asked these quetions tonight. I am inpressed with the level of response aswell. :)

At least I have a few of my most ammediate questions answered, budget too small, same old story...

A big thanks for this guys... keep the comments coming though I will be looking here for the next couple of days.

Cheers

rob :D

Hi Rob,

I built and sva'ed my first car for £7886.23 back in 1998. That included sourcing things like uprights, engine, diff, gearbox, lobros, stub axles etc from a breakers rather than direct from westfield.  The radiator, heater :blush:, carpets came from the factory so added to the build cost but you could do without them to save costs.  Radiators, Lobro joints, ball joints, brake disks, brake calipers can all be sourced cheaper than the factory.

Other option would be a cheap 2nd hand car which you could then develop as you want.

*shameless plug*   :D

A friend of a friend is selling is an SE for the budget you have. He is currently restoring another old car so the westy has to go to make room for it.

Westfield SE 1600 GT

1600 cc GT xflow

Twin DCOE 40's

Sierra 5-speed gearbox

Luminition Ignition

Chrome Headlights

Original 7.5" Minilites

Stainless Steel exhaust

Wind deflectors

Tonneau Cover

Full Weather Equipment

Telephone 01992 613 077

Car is located near Epping, Essex

roys%20westfield.JPG

Ive not seen the car so cant comment on it directly.  If you want any info feel free to get in touch with me

cheers

mark

your right that was good plug :D

It all seems like money is key here, and I have a lack of it. Budget needs to be bigger!. I was even considering getting shut of the Yellow peril... but then we would not have a nice family car. And to use the wifes kangoo up the motorway would leave me with, well they would need changing :(

You are right though,

Carpet

Wind deflectors

Tonneau Cover

Full Weather Equipment

and indeed comfort is out of the window...

I don't intend using it all year round so summer only. What I really want this for is track and hill climbing days (well eventually)

So if i can cut some corners so much the better.

I think I need to calm down though... (calm down, calm down!;) I am going to join the club/talk to people on here and in the real world (Do i have to go out) and in the mean time. Questions, Questions, Questions

:D

But obviously Saturday morning can not come quickly enough :D

Personal opinion.....

If you have a 4k budget then you need to understand that all build costs tend to omit all the odds and sods, petrol, time and effort etc in collecting all the bits and then finding out that you need to refurb them anyway as a precaution.

You might build one with second hand unproven parts for 8-9k if you are prudent, patient and prepared to do all the work yourself. This forum offers only encouragement by the way. It is imperative you understand and accept that this will be a minimum spend IMO

Borrow another 3-4 grand and you will buy a cracking 16 valve tried and trusted car with all the right bits on it

You are buying at the right time as lots will shortly be coming on the market as the summer ends and will be keen to sell and open to offers.

BTW I am a firm believer in letting someone else take the hit on the resale value of any new car.

The alternative is a Locost or similar.

can you Pm me the link please and I'll have a look

can you Pm me the link please and I'll have a look

Rob

I think Felters has left, so here is the link...here

Rob, if you want to have a good look at what is needed to build one you are more than welcome to come to my house and have a look. I have got one fully built running on throttle boddies, one almost finished running on carbs and a chassis awaiting me to decide on bike engine or car. I can show you where money can be saved and lost. I live in Yate so just down the road from you.The club meets at the cross hands pub now just down the road from the a46/m4 junction. Not in Saturday but all day Sunday. Bring the wife and let her have a look.01454 323817

Jeff

Visit to Westfield on Saturday and a visit to Jeff's on Sunday,

There you go Rob, Your weekend is sorted  :t-up:

It will give you a chance to have a good look and get questions answered by somebody with experience  :t-up: