So many questions...

RobC

Where to start... I am looking through kitcar mags dreaming at the moment. I have had the go ahead from the higher order (my wife) and I am getting excited about my visit to the factory on Saturday :love:

But I am brimming over with question, mainly about technical knowledge of building one of these cars. As so may gather I have not built a car before. However I did start messing around with my last car and supercharged it (well I paid a man and then he explained it all to me)

I guess what my overall question is, is a small (£4000) budget to start with going to be enough? What do I need to look out for? Can I really build it? (A chap from caterham said that building theres was a dream and even a child could do it) And what pointers should I be considering before buying.

I have already printed the membership form out  :D that will be in the post tomorrow.

Oh and I live just outside bath. So is there a meeting or group anywhere near me soon?

Any help will get me even more excited or may be not...

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobC

• adhawkins

• perksy

• cidersurfer

Welcome Rob

I believe your local area meets are held at the Compass Inn near Tormarton just off M5. See 'Local Events' on the WSCC front page for details.

Chris

Rob,

I'm no mechanical genius but I've managed to put mine together (with a little help of a few friends) from scratch and it only failed the SVA  test on a few things so I'm sure you can do it. Not sure that your budget will be big enough to build one though, I think my current spend is about 12k (lots of nice bits mind).

GO for it you know you'll have fun, just let SWMBO know that it only cost 3.5k and take her out for a meal and send her shopping, she'll never know......  :p  :p  :p  worked for me anyway.

Not quite an answer but i`m picking up my replacment chassis on sturday so i`ll look out for you. I would`nt say that building a car from scratch is childs play but it aint exactly rocket science either. The factory are very heplful and the owners club is a wealth of info.

Take the plunge and have a go! You never know you might just like it.

Have a nice time on saturday and i`ll bet you have a grin on your face after the test drive.

Phil

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don't worry Rob, Nigel (Black Shadow) lives in Amersham so he's quite close really...

It will be nice to drive a car without powersteering again... After my last car I bought a not so bright (Yellow) BMW. Lets say its comfortable but dull:D

Happy to help out if you need it Rob, only costs a few Stella's.. and trust me it's worth it. EVEN in the p******** rain (as I found out today)  :D  :D  :D

Can't stop smiling  :D  :D  :D

I take it your local to me then?

oh yeah Amersham, silly me should read previous posts, doh

This is the other thing which is confusing me, prices? There are so many kits. I know which I would like to build and what I want to try and do with it after I have it finished. But the prices are throwing me all over the shop.

For example...

Rolling Chassis kit £5k

Sei Starter Kit - £2650

So what else do I need to get to finish these off? DS is saying 12K ??? Thats 7k difference ???

I realise that this does not include engine and gearbox/wheels/tyres and possibly back axle. But shurley this does not cost 7K?

And so the questions come :D

Oh I want to c ar in yellow too, to match the other banana, cool :cool:

I guess what my overall question is, is a small (£4000) budget to start with going to be enough? What do I need to look out for? Can I really build it? (A chap from caterham said that building theres was a dream and even a child could do it) And what pointers should I be considering before buying.

Rob

£4000 will get the project started nicely, if you do all the sums and 'make' a budget it will give you an idea.

Then Add-on a Third more  ;)

Do you definetly want to build  ???

What about secondhand  ???

this is the other option, there seem to be plenty for about 5kish, then I could take out the bad bit and add new stuff. Would you guys think this to be a better option that a self build (takes all the fun out of it though)

What about donna (kebab) cars, it this where I should get all the bits from?