Cars for sale section

Spyderlegs

Was going to edit my last post to put this in, but Mark has posted after me, so thought I'd add a new post.

Bear in mind that although it's you giving the advice to people, you're doing it via a service provided by the WSCC. Server space and bandwidth isn't free...

Andy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• ChrisG

• Bazzer

• Spyderlegs

the £25 fee isnt to be sniffed at. the wife is in the Quattro owners club. costs the same, you get a stapled together news letter in black and white, you dont get a diary :0  and you dont get a groovy little badge ;)

like Andy says the web site isnt free to run.

and before anyone starts to rant on at me :D  i am NOT having a go at people who use this site and are not club members

I think it currently strikes the right balance to be honest, if it was any more closed then it wouldnt get half the throughput it does and have half the knowledge it does, and so the WSCC as a whole would be the loser.

I'm NOT a member, and no doubt I've picked up some useful snippets of information in my time on the forums here, but at the same time Ive also shared any knowledge I have (mainly on BEC related stuff) and given advice where I can, so its not just a one way sponging exercise where non members drain knowledge from WSCC members ya know. :0:t-up:

Chris

I guess that's true.

Would you be more likely to join if you could only read the advice that's on here, rather than ask for advice as well though?

I'm not necessarily saying this is the way we should go, but it did surprise me how much access I could get on here before I joined.

Something to think about perhaps...

Andy

Personally, I probably wouldnt be any more tempted to join just for the forum facilities, if anything making it read only would make me less likely to join because most of the snippets of useful info I pick up are just stuff Ive read from other posts (IE I dont ask many questions so no need to post), yet making it read only would stop me from being able to share any knowledge I had. Also most of the information from a forum point of view would generally be available elsewhere (BEC List, Blatchat, Locostbuilders, Se7ens list, Sylva Register etc), and I'd imagine a lot of the Westfield specific stuff that currently get discussed on here would soon filter out to the other free lists if this became a closed forum.

Also being a Locost owner I dont think there is as much benefit in me joining as if I owned a Westie. I'm sure I'd be welcome to join, but things like the Magazine and merchandise wouldnt be as relevent to me as if I owned a Westie. However, I do the odd track day via WSCC and happily pay the extra £5-10 as a non-member, which in a way is a "pay-as-you-go" way of supporting the club I guess, so I dont feel like I'm sponging off anyone by being here :)

Chris

put my pennywoth in as well. been a member, didn't renew....just being lazzy :( ..member again now.

I think the site is about right.

Don't restrict non member from using the main forums!!! I think it adds to the knowledge base and the content is better for it!!

Dave

Non-members are able to email advertisers and PM them as well as contact them by any means given within the advert (eg: Telephone number).

I know from email that I recieve that people do join the club because of information receievd from the boardroom and to have the ability to place adverts.

My thoughts are that the current ballance is about right, but as Andy says the boardroom is not free. It requires a dedicated server on a high bandwidth connection (50+GB / month) which is currently donated by GGR. This currently allows the site to operate without banner advertising or other forms of revenue generation to help assist with the costs.

I think the current bantering to 'Join the club' is a good a way as any... bear in mind I know that wilst there are 1900 participating registered users there are very very many more lurking readers...

Bear in mind that although it's you giving the advice to people, you're doing it via a service provided by the WSCC. Server space and bandwidth isn't free...

This is true but there are many free services and people who would host this sort of thing without wanting payment.

I would rather be part of an open comunity that is interested in helping each other. I come here to get advise and share my experience.

I moderate the BEC list it is provided free of charge by Yahoo and works really well. We get a free service and read the adverts in return :-)

If we close posting rights to non WSCC members,  members will suffer because people like ChrisG wont be able to post and they have a lot of experience to offer members.

Cheers

Bazzer

This is true but there are many free services and people who would host this sort of thing without wanting payment.

That's not necessarily true.

As Adrian said, the forums use up a large amount of disk space and bandwidth. 'Free' hosting is either:

1. Very restricted in terms of space and transfer

2. Plastered with advertising (as you said).

However, I think we're going round in circles now to some extent. The general concensus seems to be that what we've got now is a good balance.

Andy

I agree Andy, the boardroom is great as it is so no point in messing with it :)

You can find internet forums on everything these day, so I think the club is backing a looser if it thought that making people join the WSCC to use the boardroom would boost membership.

I think there are lots of other ways the club can add value to the Westfield ownership experience. Track day's, organised day's out etc.

Cheers

Bazzer

how about making facilities such as the search and member lists available to just wscc members?

WSCC members also have the added advantage of the picture hosting facility. Maybe a list should be made of people that have uploaded pictures and for other people to take a look at there "garage".

mike

I'm for keeping things as they are.  As ChrisG pointed out, I'm sure there are other returns to be gained from a wider audience.   If I owned a lo-cost, I'm sure I'd not think joining WSCC was a good move either.   It's a great forum, it works exceedingly well, so why change it?

I shall encourage anyone who posts here to join us, but it is a free world and I'd rather people joined for the benefits we gain elsewhere rather than cuz they had to in order to make use of the forum.

WSCC members also have the added advantage of the picture hosting facility. Maybe a list should be made of people that have uploaded pictures and for other people to take a look at there "garage".

That's on my 'WIGTT' list.

Andy