I'm being let loose with a welder!

geofff

Hi,

During September I start a "Learn to MIG weld" course at the local college.

Now I have a M/C chassis with panelling but no suspension as well as my BARC race chassis which I am building.

I was thinking of copying the semi wide rose jointed front suspension from the BARC racer for the M/C car. Bad / Good idea? I do have a standard width non rose jointed top wishbone I could copy instead.

But does anyone have dimensions for the rear semi wide rose jointed wishbones? Obviously the BARC racer is a live axle rear so I don't have them to copy.

Also what else could I make for both the cars? Easiest first as it were?

If I start blowing holes / melting everything I'll call it a day and get the experts in!

Thanks

Geoff

Just got a mig welder,can do a fantastic light show with it!!! Am getting better with practice.Learning the wire feed,gas supply and amperage takes a bit of fiddling.The Clarkes manual gave me basics,but have strayed from them now.

TBH, I'd steer clear of suspension till you can weld better (unless your a natural) you need to the right amount of penetration and not too much heat tempering or you will end up with something the wrong shape. The main thing with suspension and other critical componenets is not so much the weld as the prepartion of the joint. Ie getting the parts to fit tightly and evenly.

you need to the right amount of penetration and not too much heat tempering or you will end up with something the wrong shape.

FNARR FNARR KYUKK KYUKK  :p  :p

I`ve just finished welding up my own rear wishbone from tube stock. Grand total for parts £7.50p not including gas, MIG wire and plasters - ouch its still hot after 10 minutes!

Hmmmmmm,

Okay Webmaster. I must admit after reading the Locost book I get the feeling the suspension might be a bit of a tricky operation. Gromit how long have you been welding?

Maybe I could start with the engine mounts then?

What would be an easy (but useful) first project? Any suggestions gratefully received?

Ta

Geoff

you need to the right amount of penetration and not too much heat tempering or you will end up with something the wrong shape.

FNARR FNARR KYUKK KYUKK  :p  :p

LOL  :t-up:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Geoff.

I hate to be negative about you learning welding, but just to let you know if these parts are for the race car then you must stop. All the parts on the car (including the chassis and wishbones etc) must be supplied by Westfield and must not be modified in any way. There was an incident a couple of years ago when one team decided to make their own wishbones (with proper infinitely adjustable tops). They were found out and told to remove them. They could have had all their championship points taken away but they got away with just replacing the standard ones. I guess even if you made exact copies of the factory ones, someone might know (I think they look for the Westfield stamp on them). The rule is to stop anyone going to get special stuff made. Everyone is supposed to be identical , and also so the factory get our money obviously.

Just to let you know.

Cheers.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

No worries, this is for the Megablade I'll be building after the BARC car.

I also took your advice on the uprights - they are totally unmolested to the point of retaining the casting marks.

I could not find any tolerances for the cortina discs in the Ford or Haynes manuals. So I have had a scrap set skimmed down to true them up. What do you think?

Ta

Geoff

Shouldn't be a problem. I think in this case the rule is that they are within Ford's manufacturing tolerances, but I dont think anyone would get a micrometer out - but you never know, they might if you go out and win in your first race.  :)

Now you are going to ask what the Ford tolerances are, aren't you. Pass. I would worry as long as they are not stupidly thin. I bet someone on here knows. I do know that they are 1/2" as standard (12.5 mm).

Hi,

I only win the first race in my dreams. I normally wake up as my head hits the floor.

I can't actually find any tolerances in the manuals which is why I think I'm okay. As you say someone may be along in a moment to correct me.

Ta

Geoff

In answer to Geofff, i`ve been welding on and off for about 10 years although i`m more used to welding up rusty classic cars than tube stock. Still makes a nice change though. With regard to another comment about getting the joints to be a tight fit that really is not correct as too tight a fit between the parts will need to insufficent weld PENERTRATION. You need a small gap between the peices to be joined and also grinding the square edge off a tube to form a chamfer will help give a better weld. Get some spare tube/plate about 16 guage and practice, practice, practice. I say 16 guage as most of the tubes on a westy are this size.

Happy welding!

once youve finished it learn how to use gas  

Blimey. I`m bad enought burning myself using a MIG. The thought of me, a naked flame and two bottles of gas in my garage - doesn`t bare thinking about.

Sniff. Sniff. Can anyone smell gas - as he strikes a light.

BOOM

I`ll stick with me MIG

:D  :D  :D :

Hi S8ight,

A mate of mine has used gas welding for years. I also did a one hour freebee lesson on gas at the local college a few years back - chasing the weld bubble accross a metal plate - it was a bit difficult.

I know the 750MC recommends brazing (which is gas right?) for 750 & 1000 formula cars but I notice the ADR1000's which are winning at the moment are TIG'd.

What would you say is the benefit of gas?

Ta

Geoff