X-flow to Zetec

lloydie33

Hi to all,

Bit of a newbie here...

Having just bought a cheap 91ish SEi with X-flow motor of unknown health - it's been sitting a while, I wondered how realistic it would be to upgrade to something like a 2L Zetec?

I haven't had too much luck yet with the search button but Zetecs look less hassle and cheaper than a XE redtop conversion.

I'm not looking for mega power - 150-170bhp would be nice though.

Could I use the type 9 gearbox as a direct fit and also the twin 45 carbs off the X-flow set-up?

I was thinking about about an ex-salvage motor but am worried about what else I'll need.

Spanners I'm OK with but ECU's worry me!

What do I need to upgrade rear drums to discs? Do I really need to for road use?

Any advice & costs involved gratefully received.

Unfortunately my budget is not something to overly brag about.

And finally, yes I have printed off a wscc membership form.

Thanking you kindly

Steve

I think there's quite a bit in the archives on this conversion  ???

What about a rebuild and a few goodies on the crossflow you already have  ???

Your going to need to cut a new hole for the Zetec exhaust sytem for a start, then a different manifold for the webers (which will need re-jetting and setting up)

To save some money you could go for an ignition only ecu, but it all depends on budget i'm afraid :down:

Do a price comparison for the zetec install and a rebuild and tune of your crossflow...

Then decide which way you want to go  :t-up:

Dont discount the XE purely on cost grounds. I reckon it would cost you as much money to have a Zetec power your car is it would a redtop...

And a search will definately reveal which is the better of the two...  :p  :devil:  :durr:  :D

But seriously, both are likely to cost at least around 1500GBP to fit, according to how inventive/lucky/mechanically minded you are. That kind of money will go a long way on fettling the little Xflow motor.

I wouldnt bother about converting to discs on the rear. Your money would be better spent on treating the fronts to some nice pads, if there isnt some already fitted. IMHO... :t-up:

I speak with experience for once!

Just had a rebuild done on a xflow, long story but damaged block and piston. :(

We looked at all the options. VX, Zetec, Duratec, Toyota and decided that within the budget, a rebuild was the way to go. It's the little things that mount up, as was mentioned new manifold for the carbs, possible new chokes and jets..............

My problem was enhanced by the fact that I am a mug with the spanners so I had to add labour to just about everything but the basic rebore and skim, new pistons, new cam, new shells, new bolts, gaskets and lightened flywheel came in at £850. A secondhand engine with history will cost at least £500 and is still likely now or in the near future to require similar work.

Besides in my biased opinion, there is something about a xflow engine, I know there will be a load off p*** takers but it just sounds better, I am still running it in (4000 revs and loads of gears. It is very undertuned at the moment as well) and I am having no problem keeping up with the variouis pinto and zetec engined cars within the local club and will be entering in the speed series next year.

Keep the xflow, you know it makes sense!!!  :t-up:  :cool:

Stands back and waits for others to trample all over every word.  :0

Besides in my biased opinion, there is something about a xflow engine, I know there will be a load off p*** takers but it just sounds better, I am still running it in (4000 revs and loads of gears. It is very undertuned at the moment as well) and I am having no problem keeping up with the variouis pinto and zetec engined cars within the local club and will be entering in the speed series next year.

Keep the xflow, you know it makes sense!!!  :t-up:  :cool:

Stands back and waits for others to trample all over every word.  :0

WELL SAID  :D  :D  :D  :D

Its nice to see some common sense on the board room again.  :p

:p  Keep the Xflow   :p