Weight

Mike dB

I forgot carpets  they must be worth a few kilos too. As must the windscreen and wipers if you are prepared to go aero.

As you say the next steps are starting to get a bit keen - carbon dash etc

ISTR the lightest wheel/tyre combination for a Caterhum seems to be the 15" ones they fit to the R300 and R400 although I dont know if these will fit Westys or not (I guess not but you never know)

I dont know if these will fit Westys or not (I guess not but you never know)

c******m's De Dion chassis use Ford centres, as do chassis designed to take the Ford axle, so they'll fit (offsets notwithstanding), 'cos ALL Westfields use Ford wheel centres.......

Have cateringvan got rid of the clam shells entirely now then? ???

I still say to lose weight from the car go on a diet!  Far cheaper than any mods ;)  :0

You'd be looking at ~£300 for a years membership to a gym, mind you don't forget if you sweat a lot then electric bill will go up too, washing machine & iron! :p;)

That is if you can spare the time to dedicate to it & you'll be fitter for trackdays!  :cool:

All IMO of course  :p

Also don't forget that reducing unsprung and rotating mass also has a more beneficial effect than, say, fitting a lighter battery.

Was reading a recent article about drag racing which did various back to back tests to prove that heavier wheels / tyres cost more time than a few kilos of lead in the car.  And removing 10kg of weight from the wheels / tyres was worth much more in terms of time savings than removing 10kg of weight from the chassis.

I believe Caterhum only offer cycle wings and if anyone wants flared wings they will do their best to dissuade them

As for dieting, I agree :blush: its cheaper for me to eat less than buy any amount of carbon bits....

For those interested I have posted the weights of a number of items here.  I am currently in the process of rebuilding my SEiW and I am making an effort to track the weight reduction on a piece-by-piece basis.  This page should receive a few updates over the next month as the new parts arrive from the UK.

Bananaman

Thanks for the reply

How much money you want to spend  

What do you intend using it for  

What type of engine, Bike, 4 cylinder, V8  

I was offered a Sylva with a Blackbird engine for £7500, this is the upper end of what i want to pay, but as I am a 'larger fellow' width wise, and my son who will also drive the car is 6' 4" I was advised a Sylva is probably not best for me.

I intend to use the car for trackdays, and sprited drive outs on nice days, even to work on occasion.

having driven a Megablade, I first thought a bike engine would be good and on track it is, but I think the additional torque of the car engine would probably suit me best.  The Vauxhall 2L engine seems to be a popular choice but may be outside my budget - BTW I do not have the space or in truth the urge to built a car so will be buying complete.

I think I will probably end up with a Pinto engined Westfield - unless someone with better knowledge advises different.

big bandit - i bought a 2ltr Vx for 7k.  its a narrow body which may not be much use to you but everyting else that i wanted was on the car (including 215bhp and a dry sump system  :)  )

the cars are out there for the kind of money you want to spend

OiOi