Weight

Mike dB

Do Westfields generally weigh more than cateringvans?

Just looking through Evo & a 'standard classis' weighs in at 540kg.  What sort of weight would a wide x-flow Westfield with weather gear weigh in at with spare wheel?

If it is much lighter, why?  Is it just the engine weight or is there more too it than that?

TIA

Mike dB

Zetec with weather gear no spare full of fuel 595kg hope this helps.

We (Fluke) are making a weight list so you can add all your parts up and find out, if you have that much time on your hands.

Always bear in mind that weight figures, unless they're clearly set out showing what's included and what isn't, can be hard to compare.

Generally speaking c******ms do come out lighter, partly because they're smaller but also because the chassis is subtly different.  Things like the bodywork are probably lighter and the gearbox tunnel is quite different.  It's a combination of lots of little things I expect.

My car, when it had a Xflow in it, was weighed at 625kg (on a local weighbridge admittedly) with only a tonneau for weather gear but with most of a tank of fuel and with a spare wheel on the back.

on the subject of 'weight lists' i was speaking to the bloke who does gearboxes for me. he was telling me they where having a tidy round and he picked up two identical bellhousings, same casting numbers etc. thought he was imagining things (he is in his 60's after all) one felt a lot heavier than the other one. he swapped hands, thinking hes done his arm in and guess what ? he's wright. one weighs about 2kg more than the other one. :t-up:

My two pennies worth..My SEiW weighed in at 625kg, X-flow, full tank of fuel, spare, 15" wheels, no sidescreens or hood.

Dave

c******m kg are a bit of a law onto themselves  :p they are definatley not the same as a SI kg

yes in a real world they are a nadge lighter (as Nick says)  but then a mate who has a k-series cat  is heavier than my Vx.  his has lots of niceties (seat, windscreen etc.)

Cool, thanks for the help guys.  I never thought about the fact they they are smaller too, Doh!

Not too much difference then about 30kg heavier for a Westy Wide boy  :cool:

Thanks for the info. much appreciated  :D

My car now weighs in at 571kg's fully fuelled and all other fluids lots of manufactures quote dry weights.

Westfields have one and a half more body panels then a c******m the fiberglass covers some alloy panels.

Things that are almost sertainly the same

Wheels

Tyres

Gearbox-Type 9

Diff both live and independent/deion

Brakes

Seats [same type for type]

Lots of other common parts

I belive most of the lightness is in the chassie and the use of dry weights in books for the light model and a picture of a car with options.

Paul.

As a newcomer who is looking to buy a 7 type car in the near future I was glad to see this thread.

I am undecided on what car to go for, Westfield, c******m, MK, Silva, Tiger etc - I have already decided not to go for a Robin Hood, and have reservations about Locosts.

There are so many similar looking cars it is difficult to make a firm decision.

I have heard that Robin Hoods are very heavy, is this the case and what are approximate differences in the rest of the 7 types.

Having hired a Megablade for a track day at Knockhill and really enjoyed it I am tempted to go that route, but there are other issues like road usability to consider.

I guess any advice on general all up weight comparisons, and input regarding quality of the different makes would be appreciated.

Ta

BB

Not sure on the weight of Robin Hoods, but I know they are significantly heavier than other Locaterfields, and handle very poorly in comparison.

The quality of any kit will vary hugely due to who builds them tho, so don't discount Locosts just because of their £250 origins. There are Locosts out there that are built to a higher standard of finish than your average Westfield, but conversely there are badly built crud-heaps too, as there are with Westfields, Sylvas, Tigers etc.

I have a Locost, but Im the first to admit though that the Westfield package, particularly the fibreglass bodywork, is a of a higher quality when compared to a Locost and virtually all other kit manufacturer that I have seen, so it is easier to build a well finished Westie than it is others, in my opinion.

However, try and find good examples of each, there is no reason why a Stuart Taylor / MK built Locost wont be just as good performance and quality wise as any other kit, although I would avoid home built Locost chassis if possible unless you are confident in the welding skills of the builder!

Chris

BigBandit

So many questions need to be asked about your potential purchase.

How much money you want to spend :)

What do you intend using it for :)

What type of engine, Bike, 4 cylinder, V8 :)

etc........................ :sheep:

Carteringvans are nice cars, expensive but hold there value.

Westfields are proberbly the bets Kit type 7 & hold there value.

All the others you mentioned are OK in there own right & may well be cheaper than a Westfield.

I personally went for a Westfield as the Cateringvans in the sub £10k price were just too low spec for what i wanted.

Also they are small & i'm BIG.

Since buying a Westfield & getting involved with these WSCC lot I'm really glad i made the choice i did.

The WSCC is the BEST car club i have ever been in & make owening one an absolute pleasure. :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

You pays your monie & takes your choice.

Andy ;)

My 2 penny's worth:

I bought my Westfield a few weeks ago.  I had originally planned to go the Locost route.  What has already been said about Locosts is true.  MK, Stuart Taylot et al all offer excellent quality cars to start with and there is no reason why one wouldn't be built to a higher standard than even some cateringvans.  However, with my budget of about £5k, there was very little to choose between specs of similarly priced cars regardless of their original manufacturer.  If I'd had a little more dosh I'd have bought Locost with a fireblade lump but with the money I did have, all the cars on offer tended to be XFlows and why buy a Locost when you know that a Westfield is gonna be good and you'll have factory support.  With a Locost there is a risk that its a bit of a blue peter job.  With regard to weight I really don't think there is much more than a few kilos difference between all the cars mentioned, Robin Hoods being the exception.  All the chassis designs vary slightly and bodywork varies slightly but after that it all comes down to the components fitted.  I had my car weighed recently and in came in at 530kg's with a bit of fuel and all fluids.  I could pare this down or take it up with a few luxuries just as I could with any other.  Like everybody else says though, the bottom line depends entirely on your budget.  Hope this inane rambling is of some use.

FWIW my Caterhum is a 1.6K supersport, and in its normal 'everyday' trim it weighs 580Kg. With me in its more like 675Kg :blush:

This was measured on some cornerweight scales with windscreen, leather seats, spare wheel (15Kg on its own  :0 ), a full tank of fuel, full weather gear (doors, hood, tonneau), heater, and a few kg of tools including a jack

I reckon losing the first 25-30Kg or so would be easy :- remove spare and carrier (15Kg + guess 2-3kg), jack (guess 1-2Kg) , weather gear (guess 10Kg) , heater (guess 2-3Kg inc the fluids in it)

Theres another 15Kg at least just by having the tank less than half full (8 galls = 36 litres at approx 0.75Kg per litre =  27Kg for a full tank)

Then it starts getting more expensive - lighter wheels and tyres (currently KN Minators + 185/70x13 A021R's), tillet seats, carbon nose, carbon wings. Despite what you lot think not all 'van owners are loaded so none of this lot will happen for now.

cateringvan.  agree with you entirley the first lot is easy.

ive stripped out - bench seat.  windscreen.  wiper motor.  spare wheel +carrier.  hood.  sidescreens. swept wings.

added - FIA roll bar.

i am now struggling to get more weight out cheaply.

next steps headlights - (circa 70quid and probably 2-3kg?)

wheels (currently 15" smiths alloys will be going for 13" minilites - probably 5kg a corner - ish)

battery - (3-4kg saving - about 100quid for a red top)

then it starts to get expensive

- alloy uprights, light weight four pots, some lightened discs, lightened flywheel, new loom (not expensive but lots of time), new dash (not a lot of saving here - starting to get into grams as opposed to kilos)

then when i win the lottery

carbon propshaft and carbon drive shafts  :cool: not sure if anybody makes them but think of the w**k value  ;)

the lardy Vx is currently about 560-570kg.  I guess all the above will get it down to near five hundred kg.  then all i need is an extra 35bhp and im in 500bhp/tonne heaven :D  :D

i think ive just spent about 5k tho  :(  :(

its friday and im dreaming  :)

OiOi