Megablades

wills-Megablade

Good evening from a 'newbie' to the world of Westfield, and infact any other mode of transport built at home!

I have a new Megablade sat in a nearly finished workshop and wondered where to go from here... Yes, i know put it together!!. That seems to be the easy(ish) bit as there are lots of pieces of paper showing me how. However i have a used 893cc engine to put in it.It was sourced from a reputable dealer and looks great, but im working towards a new Registration and understand it needs to be shown to be 'reconned'.What do i need to do to the engine to convince those that do to give me a new reg when the time comes??

:)   Welcome Will

This has sort of been discussed recently see here

I'm sure some of the recent build guys will be along soon to add their experiences... and tell you to join the club!!!

Also use the search there'll be heaps of info...

Chris

Thanks Chris. I must get the time to go through this site, however my 'computer skills' leave much to be desired. As for the engine, its going to be one of trial and error me thinks!! ...A bit like building the workshop without any plans really!!!

Hi Will, welcome aboard from a fellow BEC member.

As far as registration is conserned I think it's down to luck of the draw, I have heard people have had problems and had to have the car inspected.....But when I did mine back in March I popped into my local DVLA office on my way back from SVA just on the of chance, arrived there near to closing.  I bought all the parts new bar the engine which was from a breakers, so I was after the new reg. (Only thing changed on engine was dry sump system added and westfields airbox). Took relevant paper work in, a pile of Westfield receipts and one for the engine (recon as new was not stated on it, I just told them). They looked a the big pile of receipts and said they weren't going to check them all and just took a photocopy of the one that had the VIN number on it, Within 15 minutes of sorting out a few others things I was walking out the door with the piece of paper so I could get my 04 plates made up. :t-up:

(but every centre is different and it's surely down to how lucky you are on the day.)

Good luck with the build, and when the going gets tough just take a break then go back and percivre as it is well worth it in the end.

Hope this helps, Malc

Thanks also Malc. I must say its somewhat of an strange feeling getting answers to questions over the 'puter (as i said i'm new to all this technical wizardry) but it is rather satisfying knowing that there is so much knowledge and help at the end of a keyboard. What you like at carpentry???!!! ... ???

Have a look here for some SVA bits and bobs and here for DVLA stuff.

As to the engine, can you not approach your supplier for a piece of the necessary paper?

I have not tried the supplier yet. It is an avenue.... Thanks for the links, when i get time i shall look in depth. On a different matter, is this John by any chance...???

What you like at carpentry???!!! ..
Why? I get by for what I need to do, but there are professional carpenters/(or have been) on here if you really need questions answered...See thread on what's your occupation.

To avoid the more stringent emmision tests the engine will need to be a pre august 95 motor and you will need proof of age ie the original V5 for the bike showing the engine number or a letter from Honda who charge about £30.

Post 95 you will struggle to get the engine through the test.

To avoid the more stringent emmision tests the engine will need to be a pre august 95 motor and you will need proof of age ie the original V5 for the bike showing the engine number or a letter from Honda who charge about £30.

Post 95 you will struggle to get the engine through the test.

Can't you take the bike haynes manual with you as proof? due to it having the section on what the start of the engine number is and it's corresponding age of manufacture.

Can't you take the bike haynes manual with you as proof?

Don't think so.

it's all your fault you know....

My work here is done....  :D  :D  :D

Great you did the deed though! The fun starts here.

Malc - why? - had a few probs with the workshop construction,mainly the big one of the car is here and the workshop wasn't!! Mostly sorted,especially as i have bought a big hammer!!

Paul - pre 95 engine - done that thanks.My supplier has also mailed me today offering another 'reconned' receipt, good old boy!!!

John - glad it is you. We did meet at the euro kit show in Detling this year, where the seed was planted as far as Kit Cars go by your very well put together car and knowledge on the subject.

Well, as said - its your fault. Since then, fencing has been moved,drives dug and workshops made.There was no going back, and the MB is here(minus wheels - costly at the outset) I know the Turbo was pretty much untried in terms of reliability then.How is it now? I can't afford such an add on but have been looking at Nitrous sites-just out of curiosity you understand!!-what are your views on it?