Crash Helmet Purchase

NevilleBull

Of course.

However, if I 'wash' the helmet, I want to know if it's going to in some way compromise it.

Andy

Only if you drop it........

At 5 years old though, I'd look to be replacing it soon-ish......

Yeah?

What sort of life will a helmet typically have? Also, how 'tight' a fit should a helmet be? I guess 'tight enough' is probably the answer ;)

Sorry, I've hijacked someone elses thread again haven't I :D

Andy

You won't damage the helmet unless you accidentally dig your fingers or any other implement into the shell under the lining which is made of compressable expanded foam (or similar) or drop the helmet.

If you do want to use a deoderisor then make sure it is compatible with helmets as the propellant in many of these things could actually dissolve the expanded foam shell.

You really should think about changing the helmet after about 5 years of manufacture or so I'm lead to believe or after you drop it. If you drop it you compress the foam but the outer shell will pop back out and it won't look damaged. However, the compress shell won't pop back out and will no longer be able to absorb shock at the point it has been compressed and will therefore pass the shock on to your head.

A helmet should be tight enough so that if you shake your head around it doesn't move but not so tight it presses hard on your temples and gives you a headache. The lining in mine has compressed a bit and as the lining isn't removable and I don't want to keep having to wash it because it takes a while to dry and I use it on the bike all the time I wear a neck tube inside the helmet which is easier to wash and takes up some of the movement caused by the slightly compressed lining.

Regards,

Mark

Sounds like mine is probably a bit big for me then...

I'll try it on again tonight (if I can stand the smell ;)) and see what happens.

It's gonna be a while before I need one anyway, gotta sort out my exhaust before I can go on a track day anyway!

Andy