Crash Helmet Purchase

NevilleBull

'Ello,

Want a reasonably priced crash helmet.  Need it for the weekend, got to be close to reading so I can try it on etc..

Anyone know where I can get on in Reading or around the area?   Motorcycle City (Aka Riossi) have just closed all their branches :angry: due to bankruptcy I believe.

Depends on how close you want it.

Grand Prix Racewear are in Chiswick. That's where I got all my karting gear from.

Andy

If you're happy with a bike helmet then J&S in Newbury have loads at pretty good prices. Check the made by date on the strap though as some of their stock has been known to be a couple of years old before it hits the shelves.

Mark

Last time I drove past Rossi (was Motorcycle City) in Farnborough it was trading as Infinity.  New signs and flags up.

I have bought two helmets from the Infinity bike shop on the A3 in Guildford and have always got a good price and service.

If you don't mind going down to farnborough (or more acurrately North Camp) the place just along the road from motorcycle city/Riossi/?? has a pretty good range or helmets I think. Between them I would have thought you could find something although I did struggle to find any that were mark BSxxx type A. They mostly had E numbers only.

Anyone know what the current requirements for a track day helmet are?

I've still got my karting helmet (which I believe was bought to be legal for kart racing should I ever do any), but haven't checked exactly what stickers etc. are on it.

I'll have a look tonight and see, primarily I'm interested in track days right now, rather than competition.

Andy

Motorcycle City (Aka Riossi) have just closed all their branches :angry: due to bankruptcy I believe.

Oh well, there goes my suggestion  :angry:

Thats where I got mine from. Good selection and very helpfull.  :arse:

David

Ok, on my helmet are three stickers:

A gold one, that says 'British Motorcycle Sport ACU Approved'

A white one, that says 'M / 57 58 Vehicle Users Helmets'

A Blue one that says 'Certified to British Standard BS6658: 1985 Type A', and a reference number.

Anyone got any idea what all this means?

Also, it's very smelly, any ideas for de-odourising it? :D

Andy

A Blue one that says 'Certified to British Standard BS6658: 1985 Type A', and a reference number

means it's legal to be used on the road as a motorcycle helmet. It's also legal for MSA national events, like the Speed Series, and most proper car races that are run to MSA national (as opposed to international) regs.

A white one, that says 'M / 57 58 Vehicle Users Helmets'

That'll be the size......

A gold one, that says 'British Motorcycle Sport ACU Approved'

Irrelevant, unless you want to go bike racing.....

Also, it's very smelly, any ideas for de-odourising it?

Most bike shops will sell helmet cleaner/de-odouriser.

means it's legal to be used on the road as a motorcycle helmet. It's also legal for MSA national events, like the Speed Series, and most proper car races that are run to MSA national (as opposed to international) regs.

Are any track day companies likely to have more stringent requirements than this?

Andy

Are any track day companies likely to have more stringent requirements than this?

I very much doubt it. It would be a bit strange having stricter rules than the MSA :0

A lot of trackday companies allow type B helmets so a type A is a luxury  :p

:cool:

Just what I wanted to hear.

Just need to 'de-smell' it now :D

Andy

Rather than buy something to mask the smell you can wash them. This was detailed in Ride magazine I think a while ago.

What you do is soak the lining in wamr water - use a shower is the easiest - and then work in some baby bath stuff with your fingers or a very soft brush being very gentle but working the water and baby bath through the lining. Then use the shower and your hand rinse all the soap out of the lining. You won't believe the colour of the water coming out. You must be careful not to pull the lining about too much or damage the shell. Then put the helmet somewhere where it will get lots of ventilation but not get too hot (ie not on a radiator or in the airing cupboard) and leave to dry which will take several days.

I did my bike helmet like this recently and it's significantly more pleasant and I don't have to breath in the deoderisor smell. It also has the effect of fluffing up the lining a bit which will help if your lining has been compressed by wear.

Follow all of the above at your own risk by the way :)

Hope this helps,

Mark

Follow all of the above at your own risk by the way :)

What risk is there of 'damaging' the helmet doing this? I don't suppose it would be a great loss if I had to get a new one (only paid about 100 quid for this one, about 4 or 5 years ago).

Surely the risk of damage to your head is of far more importance when selecting a helmet..........