It's a sad day...

samcooke

What was the name of the shipping company?  Is it on the companies or e-mail address list here:  

Can't find either 'contacts' on the site you linked, but just out of interest, they are

smith_auto@yahoo.com (the 'smith james' who wants to buy it)

nedlinkshippingcompany@outgun.com (the shipping company who suggest 'smith james' is legit)

Anyone recognise these? The plot thickens..........

Minghis.

There’s websites on the well, web that offer you money for sending and receiving email.  A classic one is www.zwallet.com  In a bid to get emails back from people so there not just spamming people and therefore generate some money, some clever little ****es have created programs that hit known advertising web sites and subtract just:

thing for sale

description

your email address

and asking price

they then bulk produce emails to the sellers using the above details inserted in the correct places in the paragraphs and also include some mombo jumbo about buying it for example when we was selling out smart car:

"Hello,

Thanks for your mail, I am very interested in buying this your  2000 Smart Car  which is  £4600 so there is a client of mine who is owing me the sum of £8500 which i can instruct him to issue out the check to you as soon as possible.payment will be made via Cashiers Check drawn on a UK Bank,Which i believe is the fastest way the payment could be made,because if the check is to be sent to me,it will take about 30 days to clear here in my country,but if it's paid directly to you,it will take up to 2-3 days to clear and so i am willing to entrust you with the excess funds on the cost,which you must send to my shipper via money gramm transfer as soon as the Check clears in your Bank.My Shipper will be on ground to pick-up the 2000 Smart Car in your location to sign the relevant titles and papers on my behalf as soon as we seal the transaction and the payment is made.So if my Payment terms is acceptable with you,you can mail me back to know in time.

i am waiting  for your fruitful responce

Thanks."

The clever bit is when you send an email back to them they search the content for keywords, such as phone or address.  To which they produce an automated response based on the keywords.

I know from experience that both findit.co.uk and bookatrack have been hit in such away based simply on the fact I use a different email address every time I have to write one down on the web and filter accordingly.

If you want to play there game put an abstract statement together when you reply back such as:

monkeys eat banana's

the computer gets a bit stuck trying to work out what to send back ;) of course better still is not reply at all so they dont make money from filling our inboxes with crap

Hi, just saying hello, I bought Sam's car.

Sorry Sam, I know you're going to miss the car but the next one will be worth it I hope.

Oh man, what a drive home!

Few questions...

When can I expect the ringing in my ears to subside after spending 4 hours in the car?

Where can I get a bigger petrol tank from (had to fill it up 3 times - it can certainly drink super at 90)?

Sam, any idea what the throttle cable came off and where I'd get another? Is it going to be a ford bit or a westfield bit? It broke at 90 on the M11 which was a bit alarming. The RAC got me sorted and I got an hour in the sun so no worries :)

Seriously wondered what I bought while sat on the M25 worrying if the cable was going to break again, whether I'd go deaf etc. It all made sense once off the motorway, what a car, what a laugh. I might go out after tea for another tank full.

Happy happy joy joy  :xmas:.

Cheers,

Mark

Welcome to the REAL world of motoring.   I assume now you have a Westfield, you'll be forking out a mere £25.00 to join the club too?   You wouldn't regret it I promise you.

And into the bargain, I'll have made Roland even busier!

He's the membership sec  :p

Welcome to the REAL world of motoring.   I assume now you have a Westfield, you'll be forking out a mere £25.00 to join the club too?   You wouldn't regret it I promise you.

And into the bargain, I'll have made Roland even busier!

He's the membership sec  :p

Yes indeed, I'll be joining.

Real world eh? It's certainly different I'll grant you that. Not sure about the motorbike with 4 wheels thing I've heard so much about though... my fireblade is a hell of a lot more comfortable :)

Regards,

Mark

Glad you're enjoying it Mark. :t-up:

Hmm. I've never had a cable snap - you weren't being a bit heavy with the right boot were you? :p

That cable was part of a linkage kit I bought from Burtons. Lots of people use mountain bike brake cables as cheap sturdy alternatives. The key to fitting is to make sure it is exactly the right length to open the throttle fully when the pedal is pressed to the floor without stretching - which it seems I didn't do properly - sorry  :blush:

If you're overly worried you can run two cables at once.

Hey Sammy Boy!

Sorry to hear of your loss.... :(

But nice to know that the market is buoyant :)

Good luck with the new build - look forward to seeing the results in ummm......say 3months????:devil:  :p

Hmm. I've never had a cable snap - you weren't being a bit heavy with the right boot were you? :p

That cable was part of a linkage kit I bought from Burtons. Lots of people use mountain bike brake cables as cheap sturdy alternatives. The key to fitting is to make sure it is exactly the right length to open the throttle fully when the pedal is pressed to the floor without stretching - which it seems I didn't do properly - sorry  :blush:

Lol :)

I may possibly have been enjoying the crackle on over run enough to provoke it slightly more often than would be generally considered necessary :D

I'll get some bike cables and fix it so no worries.

Just out of interest, did you find it had a natural tendency to understeer ever so slightly on rough roads driving into corners? If I take my foot off the acc just slightly the front comes back in line and then power back on and it feels balanced. Does that sound about right?

Also, just to verify, I am ok revving it to 6500 when overtaking given that I don't hold it there and change up without blowing it up aren't I? You're not quite to buffered from the mechanical stuff in these cars (obviously) and I'd like to make the most of the power without making it explode.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Just out of interest, did you find it had a natural tendency to understeer ever so slightly on rough roads driving into corners? If I take my foot off the acc just slightly the front comes back in line and then power back on and it feels balanced. Does that sound about right?

That's how I liked it.  :)  If you want to dial out the understeer, just back the front shocks off a click (two at the most) to soften it and it'll grip a bit more, if you want a lairy rear end stiffen the back up - but be prepared.

Also, just to verify, I am ok revving it to 6500 when overtaking given that I don't hold it there and change up without blowing it up aren't I?

6500 is a sensible point to stop. Plenty of people will take it to 7K and beyond, which every now and then isn't going to kill an otherwise healthy engine. Stopping at 6500 will ensure a longer life.

Chris,

Sorry to hear of your loss....

The response was so quick I didn't have time to think about whether I was doing the right thing, but as I watched Mark pull out of the drive and snort up the road I did feel a little pang.   :(

Good luck with the new build - look forward to seeing the results in ummm......say 3months?

There will certainly be results in three months. I fully expect to have at least one ally panel on by then - if I'm lucky.

Not sure I can be arsed to do a build site but I'll be hanging about here instead of doing work during the day.

It's going to have rose jointed front suspension :cool: God I'm smart.

That's how I liked it.  :)  If you want to dial out the understeer, just back the front shocks off a click (two at the most) to soften it and it'll grip a bit more, if you want a lairy rear end stiffen the back up - but be prepared.

Thanks for that, I'll have a play :)

Regards,

Mark

Lots of people use mountain bike brake cables as cheap sturdy alternatives

Get rear cable, cut in half and hey presto two cables  :p  :p  :p