• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

• Turbo Tommo

• Arm

• Mrs Westy

So doesn't matter how many events you win, you can't win the overall championship because you need to be in a class that consistently has 5 people at every event.

Exactly - the regs and points scoring are based on pre-season assumptions  ;)  ;) folks we've got sufficient for each class to score max points, why it doesn't happen is out of the SS control -  a quick look at results tables will reveal the following and this is without critiscm or bias

Class A = 7 drivers yet to enter an event

Class B = 7 Drivers yet to enter an event

Class C = 2 Drivers yet to enter an event

Class D = 5 Drivers yet to enter an event

Class F = 3 Drivers yet to enter an event

Class H = 2 Drivers yet to enter an event

Class J = 2 drivers yet to enter an event

and we still have 2 more drivers that have not registered a class or entered an event

Thats 30 drivers registered for the SS but not yet entered for an event. A big percentage

the if's buts and possibilities extend far beyond - I mean no critiscm to anyone not yet entered for their own personal reasons - but quite possibly if entries were made it would help with a more consistent points scoring system based on the total number of drivers actually competing  ;)

The whole original ethos of the Speed Series was aimed at Novice drivers - lets not forget the last 2 years the championship has been won by Expert Class drivers in possibly the smallest Class  ;)

One thing to consider when coming up with suggestions and ideas is not to look solely at the Class in which you as an individual are entered but at the whole aspect of the Speed Series, which is comprised of 9 classes altogether  ;)  :D

Spot on Mrs Westy  :D  :D  :D  All ideas must be forwarded in writing in the proper and correct manner  :D  :D  ;)

Copy of my email

I would like to see a system where the points are awarded by the closeness to a target time. The target time could be the SS class record as determined by either the previous year or since inception. In that way a competitor has a goal to acheive even if he is the only one in his class on the day and could also acheive maximum points. I would also like to see the decision on this to be a reflection of all competitors views and not just decided by "the powers that be"

Done my bit

I half agree with the 'encouragement' of scoring for the novice drivers, its a real boost when getting into this sport I found it a great incentive. Upon becoming an expert it then becomes a bit of a disincentive (maybe thats a bit strong).

Have to agree with you 100% Ash.......... after this season ;)

I half agree with the 'encouragement' of scoring for the novice drivers, its a real boost when getting into this sport I found it a great incentive. Upon becoming an expert it then becomes a bit of a disincentive (maybe thats a bit strong).

Have to agree with you 100% Ash.......... after this season ;)

And if we had a target time for each class, everyone has an incentive, novice, expert, road & non-road alike.

Another point. Conversely, is it fair that someone gets 16 points because there were 5 entrants and they were all relatively slow compared to the class leader. Surely, points need awarding to reflect ability and not the good fortune that the quicker boys had gone elswhere, or lived at the opposite end of the country.

Doesn't it mean that there aren't class records, because no-one can guarantee to get all the cones back in the same places?

Hi Mark/Steve

First off sorry to burden you with this but I thought this might work. I’m unsure as to the complexities of a system that involves class records?

Just a few thoughts on the points scoring system, maybe if we use the scoring system outlined below. The proviso would be that if there were 4 or less in the class then 1 point would be deducted from the list below & if there were 6 or more then a point would be added. It only seems fair that the more competition there is the more the reward; at present the difference seem too great.

i.e.

4 or less in class then 1st would score 15 points, 2nd 13 points etc…

5 in class 1st would score 16 points, 2nd 14 points etc…

6 or more in class then 1st would score 17 points, 2nd 15 points etc…

This way 2nd would never score more than 1st.

1st 16points

2nd 14points

3rd 12points

4th 10points

5th 8points

6th 7points

7th 6points

8th 5points

9th 4points

10th 3points

11th 2points

12th 1point

Andy Lyall (Bananaman)

P.S. Do we ever get 12 or more in class???

It only seems fair that the more competition there is the more the reward

[devil's advocate]

So you're suggesting that someone like Ash, taking a class record at Llandow, should get less points than someone who won a larger class but could have been 5 seconds off their class record, just because Ash happened to be in a small class?

[/devil's advocate]

Ten Peneth time;

My incentive for competing is the enjoyment (aka frustration most of the time) of just taking part.  Having tried to run a similar, yet much smaller organisation than the WSCC in the past - I take my hat off to the committee for doing the job they do - in their spare time and FOC!!

My frustration is that - for next year - I intend to head for Class D.  As most of you know, my car is pretty damn standard (ish) - but I will be competing against others with very highly modified machinery.  Ash commented on "dis-incentive" - this is mine.  

On the flip side, the incentive for me is the many good freinds I have made - even Tommo! - and the camaraderie (pi*s taking) at the events - regardless of how many points I score.

I don't think there will ever be a totally fair points system - there will always be variations in class sizes.

That said - my hat is in the Bananaman ring at the moment - this is nearest to fair in my opinion. (not that I think the current system is that far off the mark either).  Fence sitter I ain't :laugh:

wait a moment boys and girlies, :D

This is getting all too serious, :p

The SS guys all work very hard for us, to enjoy ???

They proberly already knew what was happening :(

And a guess will responed, to all our veiws    :D

and hopefully next year we may see some alterations, ;)

and we will be happy, well some of us :arse:  :arse:  :arse: