Considering a westy, I want to ask every question!

mynickers

While we're on the subject of insurance,

Anyone had any experience of guaranteed value?

Do you pay over the odds for it and have they paid out in full?

That’s if you have been unfortunate to use it.

Feedback welcome.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mynickers

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• the bear

Hi there,

glad to hear you are likely to plump for a Westy. Have recently done the same over aforementioned integras etc. Can also confirm that on track it wipes the floor with them. It terms of bang per buck you are unlikey to do better ...however!

Thought I'd spoil the party with a few practicalities. Firstly I was just wondering where you can store the car as in general they are not too tolerant of long periods being stored outside. This especially applies to street parking as most of the car can be accessed by flipping a few catches and security is difficult to rely on.

The other quick question is where you plan to do your trackdays and how you plan to get there. Having done 700 miles in my Westy last weekend I can confirm that the car can cover distances well, but that was in the sun. Many prefer to trailer their car as driving long distances in the rain is for the strong willed.To answer one of your other questions, no the weather gear does not really keep the rain out.

If these issues do not concern you then you will adore the car, and as previously stated it is way cheaper than even the cheapest hot hatch to track....being so light it just does'nt consume tyres and brakes in the same way.

Hope I have not put you off and good luck in the car hunt!

Kenny,

Funny enough, chatting to a friend this morning, and that was the first thing I said, where the hell would i keep it in London. Not sure if I will be able to afford to get a flat with parking. It's possible, you can get one in a block with underground parking, and occationally you'll get a bargain. But if not yes, it would be in the road, and I wouldn't be too happy about having it ther with no security and in the elements.

I hate it when practical issues spoil your fun, so on that one we'll have to see what happens, and hope that I can find some way around it.

When it comes to the weather, think motorbike, not car. Doing 700 miles in the p******** rain in a Westfield will be easier than doing the same journey on two wheels, trust me...

As for storage, rent a lock up. Your local estate agent or even the local council will be able to help. Whereabouts in London?

Buy mine £5850.00 (Bargin Price!;) for a well sorted se 2.0l pushing out 147Bhp weighing 597kg trust me this is a good un! picis or on www.pistonheads.com you cant miss it its yellow and blue!

or if you want me to email you more info pm me!

Cheers James

James, I was on pistonheads last night, and saw it, very nice. But as mentioned will not be practically in a situation to buy until after the summer, which for an open top is hopefully a better time to buy! ;)

Unless you need any organs, I'll give you my kidney for it? ;)

When it comes to the weather, think motorbike, not car. Doing 700 miles in the p******** rain in a Westfield will be easier than doing the same journey on two wheels, trust me...

As for storage, rent a lock up. Your local estate agent or even the local council will be able to help. Whereabouts in London?

I am in Kingston Upon Thames at the moment, but plan to move closer to central London soonish, moving in with a mate, various areas on the discussion table, east end, putney, elephant, west london, even parts of North London. Will rather depend on what we can get for our money!

Lock up?  But then I wont' be able to hug it before bed lol! :D

Don't worry about insurance. I have 6 points on my licence, no no-claims bonus, and I'm 26. Fully comp, limited to 4000 miles with RAC cover for £212.

Thats almost half what i pay for my Pug' 406 diesel estate!

:p

fwiw i kept my westie on the street in newcastle for about 6 months without too much bother.

A removable steering wheel, an FIA cut out switch and any other anti-theft device is always usefull.

Jam / oioi,

That's all very encouraing, in fact you're all very encouraging, you've all talked me into a motorbike with four wheels, can't believe it.

Right, I am off to start saving, and see if I can sell my internal organs on ebay.

Any bids on a liver, 27 years, high milleage, probbaly a bit damaged from booze, but functioning. Any other offers on body parts?

Ooh and you can have my girlfriend for 10 camels? :D

You sure she's *worth* 10 camels? :D

I wouldn't leave a Se7en on the street in the East End or the Elephant... Putney should be fine. Central London depends so much on which bit. Islington should be fine, but Kings Cross not... you see what I mean...

North London is mostly OK, but avoid Finsbury Park, Kentish Town, Stoke Newington and Stonebridge Park....

If it *must* get left outside I'd be adding a large motorcycle lock and chain so it can be stopped from being rolled away easily by threading the chain through the wheels/suspension, and I'd use a lockable cover too...

You sure she's *worth* 10 camels? :D

I wouldn't leave a Se7en on the street in the East End or the Elephant... Putney should be fine. Central London depends so much on which bit. Islington should be fine, but Kings Cross not... you see what I mean...

North London is mostly OK, but avoid Finsbury Park, Kentish Town, Stoke Newington and Stonebridge Park....

If it *must* get left outside I'd be adding a large motorcycle lock and chain so it can be stopped from being rolled away easily by threading the chain through the wheels/suspension, and I'd use a lockable cover too...

Quote: You sure she's *worth* 10 camels? :D

Will consider sensible offers ;)

Where to live does to a degree depend on flatmates etc, but our initial brainstorming was based on single car free lads, so if I do think I can definatley get a car, and finance etc etc then obviously I'll take that into consideration.

When I say Elephant, I went to uni around their, it's an up and coming area due to the big investment going on, and it's close to A3 - onto Motorway, close to public transport etc, and there are some less skuzy areas around etc. Similar reaons for Putney, personally I hate the place, but it's chilled in terms of theiving ****e bags, and again it's clsoe to A3, and public tranposrt links.

East end would probably be Docklands way, if really lucky, might be able to afford block with underground parking, then we're laughing.

But sensible advice about locks, and security with leaving it outside. I was thinking more along the lines of near fatal electric charge on it though, that will stop em'! ;)

It would, but they're illegal under an obscure 19th century law, believe it or not....

Considering a westy, I want to ask every question!

The one question you havent asked is "should I  get a Caterham instead"  :devil:  (ducks for cover and legs it)

Seriously, go along to as many owners club meetings as you can, you'll get a much better idea of what you want once you've chatted to a few owners and maybe blagged a ride or two

Even if its just to rule out buying a Caterham its still worth going along to an L7C meeting as well - they are all listed on the L7C website, and you can usually find a few secondhand examples on blatchat

Whatever you get you'll enjoy it  :love:

"should I  get a Caterham instead"

Or even a Robin Hood (Ducks too..) :p

My stays outside under a cover on the drive. Have a "Python" 30' cable lock which goes through all wheels, bonnet, chassis & spare wheel before locking for extra security...

Hopefully moving to a place with a garage in the near future though!