Duratecs from the factory

adhawkins

I heard from Raceline that Westfield were not pursuing the Duratec route

I wonder why???   ;)  ;)

One less Duratec engine bought from Westfield is one more potential sale for them perhaps??

Mike

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Mark Stanton

• steppenwolf

• Petrol.Head

I was told that when Lotus did the mapping for the VX2000 sports car it took over 6 months to get the optimal settings  

And yet some rolling road settings can be finished in a couple of hours I guess they just move a few set points up and

Depends what they're mapping really - bear in mind that manufacturers have emissions constantly being waved at them and they also have to consider fuel efficiency and noise.  A change of inlet or exhaust manifold could dangler the whole thing up.

Six months seems a long time, but it depends what else they changed along the way to achieve the desired result.

Our requirements are obviously a little different - we just want as much power as possible !!  :devil:  :devil:

Rolling road mapping sessions which only last a couple of hours are really just tweaking a few settings at a few points.  To map an engine properly at every site takes rather longer.  Mine was on the rollers for a little over two days when it was at Pro-Tune.  And this was starting with a reasonably effective base map to begin with and was, therefore, just fine tuning.

One of our Manchester members has placed an order for a full modular kit, he's in no rush at the moment so he's not pushing them. His deposit has been paid subject to a test drive once they have a demo car available. We also seem to think/know that there are some interesting developments on the XTR2 front which maybe diverting their resources and slowing down the launch of the Duratec, which as our chairman rightly says was on dispaly at the Autosport show some 6 months ago now!

We also seem to think/know that there are some interesting developments on the XTR2 front

sssssssshhhhhhhhh  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :)  ;)  :D  :D

Latest rep-mobile engine development from Ford - quite distinctive for max power types as its block is coloured black and the head is a gold colour  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Silently slips away to a darkened corner of the room  :D  :blush:  :D  :devil:

Can't see a Duratec fiting into an XTR2 very easily  :(

It may give the best

bhp/weight/value

but I bet a flat four such as an Impreza Turbo which was mentioned as a possible future power plant for the XTR2 would make more sensible option.

1000 bhp/ton   :0

Factory Duratec is nearly ready, a few teething problems need to be overcome before it will be finally released (it's been a while coming).

XTR2 diverting resources?  Dunno what you're on about.  :D  But I think a number of things _could_ be fitted to it if you wanted to. If I was playing I'd have to think about perhaps a Subaru engine... or maybe something else?  Hmmm.

Uh-oh is that helicopters I here?  :cool:

moomin.

The Duratec has worked its way into the Focus line too, that's what's in my ST170.

I could be wrong, but is it in the new Fiesta as well? Have to lift the bonnet on the Welsh Wizard's red-mobile :D.

Andy

I requested info from the factory about a Duratec as I am in the process of gettting a car, their answer as of 30th May was:

"The Duratec is ongoing, at present we are trying to find a good ECU set up which will be emission friendly and give good power, another problem is finding availability of new gearbox which will fit on the back. So to cut a long story short its on going with no finish date at present"

Hope they get it sorted soon as would hate to have to get a Birkin or caterinvan just because I want a Duratec :devil:

Interesting they have a piccie on the website, how did I miss that when I have pored over their brochures and pricelists.

One thing I have noted with regard to the Duratec is that Ford are changing to direct injection at least on the 1800 version so far.  The new engine is known as the SCi whereas the old version is the HC.

Don't know what effect this will have on aftermarket tuning etc. as I presume the injectors will be mounted directly into the cylinder head?  I suppose you could fit a new manifold and a set of TB's and then have 8 injectors in total  :devil: