British Grand Prix

Jan Coombes

I'll have to see if I can find a current F1 mechanic lying around somewhere.....

Minardi's night shift will be clocking in soon.................

Yeah yeah. Can't seem to find *any* decent pictures of the mirror joints just now, and I've been looking on and off all day....

Here's a few more pics of tubs for you then. ;)

tub1.jpg

tub2.jpg

tub3.jpg

tub4.jpg

Ok, so one of them is a CART one, and the one with the bloke sat in it is something else entirely, but you get the jist. ;) Still no mirrors.. :p:D:D

I seem to remember seeing a Williams (or two) with their wing mirrors hanging off last season. Of course Blatters wouldn't have known this as he doesn't watch F1  ;)

A quick search of the reliable old Internet reveals the following web page:

Dodgy wing mirrors

I think the following quote from Patrick Head will settle the argument:

Asked what failed, he said: 'The bond which ties it to the car. We'll have to work on it, beef them up a bit.',

Sounds like they are stuck on to me  :D

Oh the delights of modern day f1

All mechanics have to sign the official secrets act !

you are seeking highly classified information.

Surely today No one is allowed close enough to examine such detail .

:p  :p  :p

Oh the delights of modern day f1

All mechanics have to sign the official secrets act !

you are seeking highly classified information.

Surely today No one is allowed close enough to examine such detail .

:p  :p  :p

... unless you have a brother in the trade. Sadly, he's away working.....

Tim. No mirrors, and no holes for them either  :p

Didn't think they were bonded on though.. :down:

Maybe they use the sticky pads from Halfords....

Tim. No mirrors, and no holes for them either  :p

FWIW, "mechanical fixing" includes bonding in my book, hence no need for holes..  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :p  :D

Also, FWIW, all the older F1 cars being stored at work ready for this weekend's historic team lotus event have mechanically fastened mirrors. ;) I checked at lunchtime! :D:D

FWIW, "mechanical fixing" includes bonding in my book, hence no need for holes..  

You must have an engineers book. Doesn't say *anything* about that in my Staples catalogue.. :D:D

Staples sell sellotape, as well as parcel tape, for your light weight securing demands.....

Hey, if you look closely you can see that the mirrors are still intact on Trulli's car after that accident :oops:  :D

renault.jpg

About the only things that are  :D  :p

sorry blatters... mirrors moulded as part of the tub - are you mad man. you'd spend so much time and effort at pottentially compromising other deisgn factors for the tub. I'd expect they are a sub assembly that is fitted to the tub in some way. Also I bet they have a positive effect on aerodynamics so as not to be entirely drag only. Probably acting as flow straighteners for flow from the front wheels as the air moves towards the rear wind.