British Grand Prix

Jan Coombes

Is anyone going to the Grandprix?

If so could you take some photos of the f1 side mirrors for me, the more the better. Show cars are good too.

Intrested how they mount and all angles.

Beers etc for thanks.

;)

I'm pretty sure that the mirrors are part of the body moulding. The only movable part is the "glass" itself. I doubt the lenses are glass though, I should imagine they are some sort of plastic, or plasticised material...

There won't be any mirror mount to photograph...

Blatters

You're not often wrong but when you are you really are :p

barmirror.jpg

ferrarimirror.jpg

williamsmirror.jpg

mclarenmirror.jpg

Lets see a close up then. Those piccys don't show anything like enough detail to be conclusive.

Here you are Blatters

bar2.jpg

barmirrorcloseup.jpg

Incidentally, aerodynamically F1 teams do make me larf

Try driving (as a passenger of course) at 100 mph holding something shaped like these mirrors out the window...

Why don't they use a TV screen in the cockpit? $400m a year budgets and no comon sense :p

Incidentally, aerodynamically F1 teams do make me larf

Try driving (as a passenger of course) at 100 mph holding something shaped like these mirrors out the window...

Why don't they use a TV screen in the cockpit? $400m a year budgets and no comon sense :p

At a guess, probably because the rules require them????????

:durr:  :sheep:  :durr:

Fatters

Still can't tell conclusively that those are *definitely* bolted on to the tub....

They aren't moulded in. Name one reason why an F1 designer would make a tub where damage to a minor component like a mirror would require tub replacement to fix? ;)

Also, see this pic of a tub... ;)

manufact.gif

:D:D:D

Edited to add:

Found that pic on the first proper link from googling for "F1 car tub" - do a search Blatters! :p:D:D

They aren't moulded in. Name one reason why an F1 designer would make a tub where damage to a minor component like a mirror would require tub replacement to fix?

Er, if it's made of the same material as the tub, it *won't* break, and even road cars have removable glass :p

I'm pretty sure that the mirrors are part of the body moulding.

So, one team down, 9 to go...... maybe... :p:D

Ok, so widen "damage" to inclulde moulding/layup defects - and to claim that crabon fibre won't break is taking things a bit far! :p I'd lay odds that a decent birdstrike at speed would snap one off - especially given that they'd have a layup optimised for lightweight rather than outright strength. As evidence, witness them waving about all over the place from the cockpit cameras on the telly coverage... ???

There are any number of reasons not to mould the mirrors as part of the tub (not least cos you'd be making a needlessly overcomplicated set of tooling) and absolutely no reason to make it integral. :p:D

Next... :D

Hmmmm, don't recall seeing any of them flapping around recently. A bird strike would make a mess of a bolted on mirror, and you still run the risk of having to have the tub visit the dag man to fix the massive hole made by ripping the mirror out :p

Take your point on the tooling, but I'm sure they make more complicated stuff than that. Making them part of the tub/body means that they *can't* flap around, that they remain rigid and therefore useable, during a race. They can optimise the shape of the stalk/stems/whatever so that they create less drag. They certainly seem to me to be shrouded, and from what I've seen (your picture above not withstanding) they don't seem to be a seperate part that's bolted on. Not using a bolt and nut means more weight saved, and something less to shake loose and fall off...

Never heard of snap off mirrors then? ??? They can be (and have been) made to survive on cars capable of operating in excess of 200mph.. (no idea if they do run them on F1 cars though, most likely not in case they fell off in a crash..

They only make complicated tooling if there's a sensible reason to do so. Mirrors are not a sensible reason. SEOT. :p

Also, if you look closely, most pics of F1 mirrors show the joint condition of the mirrors to the tub having a sharp join - no radius. This would not be a very clever idea on a part with high loading (not to mention difficult to layup with no radii) - further suggestion of a mechanical fixing, IMO. ;)

Anyhow, I've found a pic of an F1 tub without mirrors, you find one showing integral mirrors. Until you do, I'm right - you're wrong, end of story. :p:D:D

Yeah yeah. Can't seem to find *any* decent pictures of the mirror joints just now, and I've been looking on and off all day....

I'll have to see if I can find a current F1 mechanic lying around somewhere.....

:D