• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Building a Westie at school

johnnystorm

120hrs to build=5 hours a week for 38 school weeks. The kids will alo be studying a BTEC course in that time. I reckon it will be a close call to get it done in that time and after-school partcipation by the  whole team is a requirement.

Yeah, my point really was that 3-4 people can build one in a weekend if they put their minds to it - admittedly maybe not if it was their first go at it...

But, for instance, if you bolt all the suspension on yourself it'll take a fair few hours, but if 8 people are doing it, it'll be done in under an hour!

Also, 38*5=190 hours in my book ;):p That times whatever number of pupils means you can build a whole fleet of them, then go racing around the playing field! :t-up::D:D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnnystorm

• oldman

• timd

• adhawkins

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Idea, nice to see teachers with real commitment.

I take it you have seen "A Race Car is Born"

I think the Video is available from the factory.

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

That is a fantastic idea, i wish my school could have done it!!!

Good luck hope it goes well, and we'll all look out for the finished product!! (and avoide it as its been built by a bunch of kids!!!!;)

Out of interest what year group is this for??

what a great idea? Have you contacted Westfield and discussed your plans with them. You may find that they would agree reduced rates for parts and components as it was a school project. With some thought you could convinve westfield that it would be a great PR and advertising ploy.

"Car manufacturer helps schoolkids learn practical skills"...could be a headline.

The same ploy could be used with suppliers of all the other parts you will need to complete the car.

Begging and scrounging is an artform! Dont be afraid to try it.What have you got to lose. The worse they can say is no!

I wish my college course involved such a project.

Great idea, I keep getting told I should go back to school and get an education.  :durr:  :D

have you tried for a discount from Westfield, they might see this as good publicity?? :t-up:  :t-up:.

That's a fantastic idea you have there, wish more schools/colleges would show the same interest then maybe we would have more British car manufacturers.

Wish you all the best with it and as people have already said be pushy and diplomatic with westfield/other suppliers and you should find yourself being able to get discounts, which in turn will increase your profit return.

If all goes well a few years down the line try contacting some of the big production car manufaturers, they may get together with you as sponsorship and allow you parts to build a production vehicle (don't know how it would work as regards to putting it on the road etc). I know people like BMW/MINI are allways looking to get young people into the industry (not just boys but girls also), they do apprenticeships with real good prospects if your students are really serious in this field of work. Have you also considered doing trips to factories to see production in progress, MINI do these quite regular, worth contacting.

Here is their web site MINI

Good Luck

One of the guys that comes to the Manchester meets built an MK Indy with an R1 engine for around £5500 and sold it after about 6months for about £2000 more.  He had expensive seats and wheels, so it could be done for less.  His user name is j30fos.  See thread on the 25 june about the seconds owner crashing it.

I've just finished my mechanical engineering HNC day release at Stockport college.  The motor vehicles guys are building two Robin Hoods there.  They used to build Westy's but changed due the price difference.

120hrs to build=5 hours a week for 38 school weeks. The kids will also be studying a BTEC course in that time. I reckon it will be a close call to get it done in that time and after-school partcipation by the  whole team is a requirement.

Also, 38*5=190 hours in my book ;):p That times whatever number of pupils means you can build a whole fleet of them, then go racing around the playing field! :t-up::D:D

38x5 does indeed equal 190 hours. But we are talking about untrained student hours, not competant mechanic hours and as I mentioned there is the BTEC teaching to squeeze in! My point was that 190 hrs minus car time and minus teaching time is someway over the time constraints. Also little things like tidying EVERYTHING away after each 2 hour session :bangshead:

Sounds fantastic, good luck with the project  :t-up:

All we ever did at 'our' school was groom Nobby Stiles to help win the World cup for England in 1966,

then groom Brian Kidd to help win the European cup for Man U in 68' all pretty boring really  ;)

Ah, checked the small print 5 hours perfortnight=75 hours=lots of after school spannering :oops:

Just need to find a classroom to bulldoze into a garage :angry:

Just one thing......

Are you sure the kids will get a look in?

One thing I'd recommend is that you check out the next stage of the build thoroughly before you let the kids  loose, because there are some quite vague areas on any build.

Feel free to ask us wherever you get stuck, cuz there are quite a lot of us who have found out the less than easy way!

I'd also keep the SVA test firmly in mind during the build, because engineering it in as you go along will save problems later.

Don't be at all surprised if you lose in the order of 2 or 3 grand at the end of the build when it comes to selling it on.

I remember re-building an Austin A35 at my school :blush: along with a Mini and a Hillman Imp.

For the younger amongst us, all of the above are cars    :D

I remember re-building an Austin A35 at my school :blush: along with a Mini and a Hillman Imp.

For the younger amongst us, all of the above are cars    :D

Its an indication of British build quality that they needed rebuilding :D  Unless you aren't as old as you make out :p