makin car lighter faster

sir camel toe

hi chaps how can i make my car lighter its se 1700 crossflow

plus what cams do u guys use. on 40s at mo but upgrading to 45 throttle boddies soon.

any info would be a great help.cheers

Just chuck everything out that isn't necessary. I don't have seats, interior, windscreen, boot box, heater. I do have c/fibre dash, boot cover, 13" K&N rims...

No idea what it weighs but it's a narrow car with a 4AGE engine - cant be much. More aero dynamic without the screen as well. :D

45 throttle bodies may be too large. Remember that throttle bodies don't need to be as large as the carbs they replace, so choose carefully.

As for lightening, just as Felters says, chuck everything you don't *need* overboard.....

I have it on good authority (ex racer) that even Carb 45's would be a waste as the 40's are perfect. I also run a 1700 xflow. Also get a copy of track and race cars for last month. They did a review on TB's and although the top end improved the bottom end torque suffered.

(jeez I almost sound like I know what I am talking about)

My man reckons X flow all the time over a pinto or a Zetec as the engine has better torque and revs better. He seems to know cos at the time I was waiving a wedge of cash at him and he advised sticking with the xflow and getting it fixed (it aint well! :arse: ) over replacing the engine.

Still if you cant be persuaded and the 40's are Dellortos or Webers I might be interested in releiving you of them. :oops:

Mr Bear. Let me apologise in advance......

My man reckons X flow all the time over a pinto or a Zetec

I fear your man may have a vested interest in x-flows. The volumetric efficiency of a 16 valve Zetec means that it'll p*** all over a x-flow for torque and power, if like for like engines are compared. So, whilst Nob Ravins X-flow may well have the licking of lots of Zeteces, when a Zetec is prepped to the same "full race" spec, the Zetec will again be more powerful, and more torquey.

45's, and even 48 carbs do have their place on the appropriate x-flow, but again, they'd be pretty extreme examples. For most road/fast road applications, the 40's will be fine.

Lastly, drivability with throttle bodies should again be vastly superior to carbs. If they aren't, then there is a fundamental problem with the bodies/map/ecu.

Weve had this before..but here goes..

Get rubbing with the T cut

Go on a diet

get yer hair cut

shave yer legs

loose yer undercrackers

blow yer nose

masturbate

ditch the engine

loose the driver

sorry getting too silly now,I'll get back t'wine :down:

The comparative volumetric efficiencies are discussed here. Take careful note of what Peter Carmichael, and AMMO have to say on the matter. Try and ignore some of the off topic rambling....

Try and ignore some of the off topic rambling....

Should be easy enough to do.  We have enough practice round here  :D

True, but with Sir camel Toe only having 5 posts, he may not be quite up to speed yet..... (pun intended, BTW)

I understand where you are coming from Blatters, I agree he is def old school and loves x flows, in the end cos I dont really know how to do any of it myself I have got to trust someone, and so far he has taken no money off me for work done weeks ago cos he feels the car isnt right yet.

As I intend to do Speed Series next year for my own enjoyment I am going to need someone who knows his way around an engine, this guy is local and geniune with a good reputation and lets be honest, I aint going be able to realise the potential of my car for a few years coming into this as someone who has never driven on a track.

I think you agree with him that 45's are not going to help a xflow.  

He def doesnt like Zetecs,

cheers for the advice just got the tbs sitting in the shed been told at my local meets that they would be all right with  cams plus head work

So, whilst Nob Ravins X-flow may well have the licking of lots of Zeteces, when a Zetec is prepped to the same "full race" spec, the Zetec will again be more powerful, and more torquey

Blatters

I have just had a look here to see how far you can go with comparing my x-flow against a top spec zetec.  I have used the carb engine as that is what mine is running.

I know its not a fair assesment because my car is only 1700cc and the zetec listed is 2000cc.

I have to admit I am not as worried as I should be about these figures IF this is the most you can go to without carbs.  Has any one got more out of the zetec without going TB's and have you any idea what a 1800 engine would be producing ?

:p

Not wanting to start a mines bigger than yours thread I am genuinly intrested in seeing some actual results

Sorry about the rambling.(moment of madness) :t-up:

Not like you Oldman  :D  :D  :D  :D

Well I've been under pressure lately.Wineman only delivered 11 bottles yesterday which left me a little short(Scotch!;):p