Bird Strike

Crash Override

Ouch, I had to watch that several times as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What ever possed them to run across a motorway like that :durr:

I must admit watching the motorway maintenance crews run across our motorways with signs make me wonder aswell, what if they trip it's either massive pile up as vehicles swerve in avoidance, or it's goodnight vienna road kill (who would be to blame?)

Incident at Catle Combe trackday several years ago.

Audi A6 came into pits, driver gets out complaining about the pigeons at Avon Rise and saying he was lucky they did not hit the car.

However we were all stood in front of the car and could see the dead pigeon at rest inside his nearside headlight which was a pool of blood. Its poor little head hanging over the broken glass looking up to the sky.

For the rest of the day the pigeon had free laps of Combe for its trouble.

Dread to think of the cost of a Audi light

I am sure I have a picture at home but will take some finding as before these digital things.

Ahh, that'd be my Pheasant. Jumped out about 20 feet in front of me at ~60MPH on a back road. Nothing I could do but I felt a thud. Looked in the mirror and saw a few feathers and remember thinking that I would expect more.

Kept kidding myself that the smells of meat cooking for the next 30 miles were a figment of my imagination.

Roll up at the hotel we were staying at and imagine my surprise when I walk round the car and see a pheasant nestled between the front wishbones, being gradually sauteed against the brake disk.

Never did find its' head. I guess that must have found itself on the other side of the top wishbone at impact!

Now, where's that picture....

Hit a badger once coming home late at night; the badger ran one way, I swerved the other, though I'd missed it, till the badger, stopped, turned round and ran back in front of me!

Unfortunately, even after full on breaking I was still doing 85 ish when I caught it square on the plastic grill on my old A6's bumper. The smell and mess were something else, the grill covered a short venturi leading to the intercooler. The badger went straight down the funnel, getting sort of liquified, and then sort of got sprayed out over the intercooler, where what was left got nicely cooked.

:down:  :down:  :down:

That was a long weekend with the jetwash.

Heading out accross Lincolnshire early one morning last summer a suicidal dangler pheasant decided to cross the road in front of me. (before the question it was a phesant not a chicken);)  It was running away from me at about 45deg to the road. At some point it must have realised that I was making considerable headway on it, and it decided to adopt take off mode. Too late, I hit it with the top edge of the Cyclone nose cone at about 60mph:angry: For about 2 seconds it remained fixed with its head and wings on the bonnet and the undercarriage pressed up against the grill. But slowly and surely it began to slide over the edge and up the bonnet. At this point it got some wind in its sails and it was lifted over the screen only to be deposited firmly into the passenger seat, (luckily no passenger). Almost immediately in its death throes it kicked up and was gone, only to end up in a cloud or feathers in the rear mirror. I didnt stop but on arrival I checked out the front of the car, stoved in grill mesh and lots of fibre glass cracks.

However, on close inspection, in the nanosecond this thing had been in the car not only had it left a top coat of feathers behind, it had also managed to crap all over the back of the passenger seat. As I said luckily no passenger :0:0:0

B

I think we should all have video cameras with wide angle lenses fitted to our westys in order to capture these amazing things :D  :cool:

If anyone is interested in getting camera equipment for their westy then have a look here these do a complete kit.

Raceradio