• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Derby/Notts area next meeting

Garry Bunn - Derby & Notts Joint AO

static is all we need for now...

we can try a drive by - but the car isn't run in yet ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian Gratton

• alfie_fraser

• KerryS

• Ian Podmore

Has anyone seen the weather forecast as it may turn out damp??

Met Office

Sorry to put a dampner on it but fingers crossed, that they have got it wrong again!

Gareth

Pray Sun !!!

Pray Sun !!!

We don't have the ability to install a canvas roof like you guys :p

I know it won't rain but if and only if it does will anybody turn up?  I intend to if I can suss out how to put the roof up in time.

Gareth

OK guys pin your ears back and listen up,

We have been criticised of late on two fronts.

One we don’t present a friendly face to new members. This is something I dispute, but never the less someone has that impression. I would say that any group such as ours will inevitably seem ‘clicky’ at first due to many long standing friendships amongst the long term members. I know however that overall we do try to welcome new faces.

The other point  probably has more validity and needs some action.

As an area we have been sadly lacking in activity other than sitting in the pub on a club night drinking beer and talking cars. I, myself am happy doing this but others are obviously not.

Now I have always said that I cannot organise everything that happens in the area. It needs you guys to have a go, I will support anyone who has an idea of merit.

We have been good at this in the past, organising BBQ’s, film nights, factory tours,  etc.

Now I’m not prepared to take criticism for an inactive area, so……if things don’t change they will not stop as they are…..certainly not on my front!!

Your long standing AO.

Garry

STOP PRESS

Over the next few months I will attempt to get local(ish) service providers to come along to the meetings and show you what they have to offer.

Graham Dean is a local vehicle trimmer/upholsterer of repute.

He is based in Ilkeston.

Hopefully he will be along this evening to show you an example of his workmanship and let you know what he can do for you.

Garry 079 799 07489

Gary, in response as I am a newbie to both the car and the group I would like to back up your comments and yes it does seem 'clicky' at first, but very freindly and this will take a little time to 'get in' as per your comment (long term freindships), but the Peacock Thursday meet I made last month, a little late I know but, I had a good chat with, I think, everyone and they made me feel very welcome, had a pint (of shandy) kicked some tyres and enjoyed having an excuse to use the car and see other examples, already picked up some useful tips.  

So great job in being an AO I know this must be a time consuming job but as we all have other commitments and not enough time to dedicate to what we would like to do (i.e. SWMBO and kids for starters), so I would offer my assistance where ever possible just give me a shout.

In addition I visitied the Caterham Club meet (just off junction 31 M1) last night (ducks and heads for the door) and this was the same 'clicky' enviroment but again made me feel very welcome even got an invite to an event 1st Aug (on holiday though), only one comment against Westies but taken and given in good humor (you should of seen the size of him, goes by the name of BIG Dave ??).  It was a good turn out, 9 cars with one being a Westie (me) parked smack in the middle, forgot the camera.....b*******.

After the event I thought it might be good to 'meet the opposition' as a night/day/blat out??   I intend to visit them again and they actually invited me back anyway, they suggested a blat on the morning of the 11th July prior to the Grand Prix starting do not know if anyone else would be up for it?

Hope to see you tonight, I think I have grovelled enough now and would love to relieve you of some food tokens for tonight, I will be bringing the wife, plus a friend and his wife are coming (MX5 but I am slowly talking him in to swaping for a westie)  We will probably not get there until 8:00pm though.

Cheers, and keep smilling.

Gareth

:D:D:D:cool:

Must remember not to : in time post (8-00pm)

Garry,

I'll see you all later, rain or shine (and I reckon all the rain has blown over now...) in the Westfield.  I managed to get the date on the family calendar before the wife this time!

And if it does rain, Garry is always the first to give you a hand putting your roof up!

And I hope that Mark turns up in his newly built Zetec 'cause we've talked about it for months and now it's finished :) and I haven't seen it yet :(

Ian

Yeah - good to see fellow westi people.

Seing the ring mini was brill - I'll bring you a cd with the GixxerKart on it plus numerous other things - I have gigabytes of car videos - bit of xtr4 footage from bedford autodrome too.

Thanks to KerryS for supplying the noise meter (100db) at 4,700rpm so that *should* be ok.

Also thanks for the loan of the M5 bolt :)

Cheers for showing up simon.  Wonder if any of the Westi folks want to help raise some money for charity by joining in the SELOC BruntyOrBust event (Starting with a convoy drive from Donington Museum to Bruntingthorpe proving ground - a handling course etc.

http://www.bruntyorbust.org/home/

Hope to see you at the next one soon.

Great meet, although I spent most of the time with SWMBO having something to eat, I have attached some pics, sorry not to get the whole attendees in but as I said.  Looking forward to the next one holidays permitting.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Did anyone else get held up for 30mins on the way home, on the M1 while they carfully placed the cones across Lanes 2&3, seems its my first time in any kind of traffic and watching the temp gauge max out puts the worried look on a mans face, but it was OK couldn't here the cooling fan but I assume it did it's job, but guess what I will be check this weekend :D  

Thanks again :t-up:

Cheers

Gareth

Edit: if anyone wants bigger high res photos please mail.

Thanks for the friendly welcome last night I enjoyed meeting you all, and who ever it was that bought me a drink nudge me at the next one so I can return the favour.

As for that XTR4 well what can I say, I’ll just have to keep dreaming :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :D  :D

Regards pete

PS I didn’t find it  ‘clicky’ at all your quite a nice lot really

All at last night's meet

Thanks for making me feel welcome guys, glad the sound check was useful, Ian.

Picked up some useful hints - by next meeting my kit order will be finalised with Westfield but I have some more things to ask at the factory when I go.

Kerry S

Photo links dont appear to work - but it could be our work internet connection.