O/T computer grief

david.c

If unmanaged spyware can really get so badly imbedded that a format is the only solution .

Spybot and adaware are very good but if you have a really bad mixture of stuff you will find it very hard to clear with these programs.

If you happen to be local to me (herts/beds/bucks) i can help you sort it out if you want .

Also make sure yer virus killer is up to date and check for them...also might be worth trying a different virus software (Avg is very good for free)  .

Good luck sorting it out though

Persil

Thanks for the assistance guys :t-up:  :t-up:

Have looked through the programs and can't see any I don't recognise. Also Virtual Memory is set at 510mb.

Will leave it at that for tonight so I stay happy after the football result:D  :D  :D

David

I use Adaware 6.0 (build 6.181) and cannot recomend highly enough. I had the same problems as you Dave. Luckily my windows are too small to fit a monitor through! I run every wwek or so and am running now..... 9 object recognised after sensible surfing  :D

You also need to make sure all is up dated including firewall, anti virus and spyware. I also use Zonelabs firewall and AVG antivirus all of which I am very happy with. Free too :t-up:

Also Virtual Memory is set at 510mb.

Looked at this again late last night, after getting the virtual memory too low message, as it also says that windows is increasing its size. Now it is at 944mb :0  :0  :0

tried running spybot twice last night and it got stuck both times :suspect:  :suspect:

Will try it again this morning, then give Adaware a try if it fails.

David

tried running spybot twice last night and it got stuck both times

A known issue. Run Spybot again, and make a note of the files it hangs on, then put the file name into Yahoo/Google. The solution will appear. I forget what it is now, but it's easy to do, and lets Spybot complete it's task...

Ooooohhhhhhh is it that time of the month already? May well do. I'll be on me own though......