O/T computer grief

david.c

I keep getting warning messages pop up telling me I have Spyware on my computer, and click here to scan your computer.

Now I don't like clicking on links that I don't know where they have come from.

So where is the best place to go to resolve this?

Running XP with Norton Antivirus software.

Cheers

David

Just ignore the pop-ups...they're generated by sites you're visiting. They don't necessarily indicate that you have Spyware installed.

However, as Leon said, get Spybot or AdAware to check your PC.

Andy

There are a number of issues going on.

These pop ups are also coming up whilst offline and the broadband modem is disconnected.

Also keep getting a 'Windows - virtual memory minimum too low' message aswell.

And the computer is running like a slug in lead boots :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

I have managed to delete (hopefully) the adware files that Norton picked up and am in the process of running a new system scan

David

Spybot will almost certainly sort this out for you. It did for me...

I used to run Norton anti-virus at work, but have found that McAfee finds far more stuff.  When we changed, Norton said our server was clear, McAfee found 9 virus and dodgy programs.......

And yes, Spybot or Pestpatrol will clear all the problems.

I'm running a MAC ... any recommendations for Spybot type software?

???

Mart,

It's very rare to get anything like a virus, spyware, etc... on a Mac. That said, I run Macs and it's something that I need to have another look at soon.

Mark

Well, I have downloaded spybot and ditched a whole load of suspect files. However I am still getting a whole load of pop ups about spyware when I 1st go onto any website (including WSCC), but once you are quick enough to click on the close button that then stops the avalanche of screens and you can close them all down.    :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Also, still getting the virtual memory low message from time to time  :down:  :down:  :down:

David

David - I only have experience of using AdAware which I have found to be very good. Get it free from www.lavasoftUSA.com but update it before running to make sure you are using the latest version.

Are the pop-ups actually Internet Explorer windows or are they Windows Dialogue Message Boxes?

Virtual Memory should be controlled by Windows really. How much HD space do you have available on the drive where Windows is installed? You need 500 Mbytes minimum. To view virtual memory settings goto Control Panel, System, Advanced Settings, Performance Options. You should have virtual memory set at something between 200 - 500 Mbytes.

If you still get this Virtual memory running low message, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and goto TASK MANAGER and PERFORMANCE. what is memory usage showing there? PROCESSES will also show what process is using whatever amount of memory. See if you can see a culprit.

steve

Have a look in your add / remove programs, you may well find there are one or two apps in there that you've never knowingly installed which are running with IE and causing the popups ("Hotbar" is one such PITA I can think of off the top of my head)

Another vote for Spybot from me BTW :)

Chris

Are the pop-ups actually Internet Explorer windows or are they Windows Dialogue Message Boxes?

Virtual Memory should be controlled by Windows really. How much HD space do you have available on the drive where Windows is installed? You need 500 Mbytes minimum. To view virtual memory settings goto Control Panel, System, Advanced Settings, Performance Options. You should have virtual memory set at something between 200 - 500 Mbytes.

If you still get this Virtual memory running low message, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and goto TASK MANAGER and PERFORMANCE. what is memory usage showing there? PROCESSES will also show what process is using whatever amount of memory. See if you can see a culprit.

steve

They are internet boxes ..........there are about 5 different ones that just keep repeating about every couple of seconds. I have just come off that computer onto this one before I smash something :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  just had sixty odd windows and counting and unable to stop them so shoved the off button.

The computer is about 3 months old and has about 20 Gig hard drive left and has 256 meg of ram. Don't know what the virtual memory is set at, will check tomorrow, when I have calmed down.

Did look on the performance thing earlier and it had about 40 processes running but only using about 5% CPU.

Computers are like cars................great when they work right, but a pain in the  :arse:  when they don't. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

David

Have a look through ur add/remove programs as mentioned, if there's any search bars, hot bars, shopping news or anything else suspect like that remove it.

Had a clients pc so filled up with junk the other day it took 10 attempts of spybot but even then the internet was running so slow as there were nasty programs running in the background using up bandwidth.  Only way out of that one was a format and rebuild.