• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Chelt, Glos and North Wilts area meet

adhawkins

That was one of my worries that it wouldn't go through the sound test, but from what your saying it probably will. Which in that case I'll definitley think long and hard about going on track, maybe it's a case of just jumping out the way when the nutters are close by.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Crash Override

• Mark Purves

• highwayman

You can always have it noise tested at a 'quiet' time, and then decide after that whether to go out on track.

Shall I tell the horror 'Lotus 11' story?

Andy

If I do tell, I doubt you'll be driving at a Combe action day...

Sure you wanna hear it?

Andy

If I do tell, I doubt you'll be driving at a Combe action day...

Sure you wanna hear it?

Maybe not then but the curiosity there, maybe tell me after if I do decide to go out.

:arse:

I was getting all ready to tell it then... :)

If you're curious, take a look at the photos from last years 'classic cars' action day here.

If you wanna know how it happened, ask away...

Either way, try to find me at Combe next weekend. Should be easy to spot my car if I'm there :)

Andy

I have, and I've replied...

So, wanna know what happened?

Andy

:)

Ok, this is third hand I'm afraid...

The 11 was heading into the most challenging corner on the track (over Avon Rise and into Quarry) and it started to drop oil. It got onto the rear wheels, and the car went off onto the outside of the track (into a gravel trap).

The driver luckily kept it out of the tyre wall, and got out to examine the rear of the car, thinking himself lucky.

Apparently, there was a shout of 'Jump!' from the marshalls. The driver dived out of the way, just in time to get himself out of the way of a BMW that had ignored the yellow flags, and had gone off on the 11's oil.

Needless to say, the BMW followed practically the same path as the 11, but at a much higher speed.

This was the result:

aae.jpg.

I'm afraid that put me off driving at a Castle Combe action day...when I finally pluck up the courage to drive the track in anger (I was queueing for a 'parade' lap when the 11 incident happened) then I think I'll do it on a 'pukka' track day.

Andy

Not good, who payed for the damage?

It actually reminds me of a incident I had whilst karting, Yellow flags were out due to a spinner in the tyres so no overtaking and slow down to half racing speed. Unfortunatley the prat that was at the time quite away behind me didn't do either so as I slowed and expecting no one to be overtaking drifted across the track on the straight, Wallop the prat was trying to go by me still doing race pace. No damage to me but bent the rear bumper onto the rear wheel and spun me round, anyway he was black flagged and sent off while they repaired me to get me going again.

I suppose the moral of the story is there's always one f***ing idiot out there that spoils peoples fun.

I suppose the moral of the story is there's always one f***ing idiot out there that spoils peoples fun.

That's well worth bearing in mind, both on road and on track.

The only time we damaged our kart in any semi-permanent way (the rear bumper on a pro kart, we never got it properly straight again) was a similar incident.

I think the problem with Action Days is they have a '2 strikes and you're out' rule, in the same way as track days often do. However, most people on Action Days are there to do one or maybe two sessions at most, so if they get black flagged in both (at only about a tenner each) then they haven't lost out on too much money and track time.

However, on your £150 track day, the last thing you want is to be black flagged and risk being sent home, so you take your time, obey the rule, and drive sensibly (if quickly).

Much more sensible option in my opinion...

Oh, and I imagine the Lotus driver had to pay for his own damage, but I don't know for sure.

Andy

Andy you forgot to add the BMW did a flip in th air before it landed on the 11.

As the say I know as I was there.

Put a friend of mine off track days for a while.

BMW driver needed a slap as more worried about getting home than the 11's owner etc.

Andy you forgot to add the BWM did a flip in th air before it landed on the 11.

As the say I know as I was there.

Put a friend of mine off track days for a while.

:0 It did? Wasn't aware of that...

As I said, I was queuing for a parade lap at the time...

It didn't necessarily put me off track days, but has put me off driving on a Combe Action Day.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm there is a meeting at The Highwayman this Thursday at the above venue. A warm welcome to anybody new to the  area  (Good food is available) and not forgetting the regulars.

See ya there

Dave