Side screens

karlgurney

Does anyone near me (carterton,Oxon) have the factory sidescreens on there car, i'm in tight A*** mode and fancy having a go at making some, i would just like to make a template and see how there made, getting fed up with the buffiting in the car plus it would keep SWMBO happy  :p

Cheers

Karl

Thought it pains me to say it, people have made good comments about the small perspex wind deflectors that are available. I think these are something like 70 quid from the guy that makes them, you just need a set of sidescreen hinges to fit them.

A quick search should pick up contact details for him.

Personally, I hate driving with sidescreens on (and haven't now for over a year), they make the cockpit feel a whole lot smaller.

Andy

I had thought about the perspex ones but personally think that they ruin the look of the car,  I quite like the way the car looks with the factory sidescreens.  Having been for 4 test drives in the factory car with sidescreens fitted they didn't really bother me.

Karl

I do agree with you about the perspex deflectors.

However, as far as the sidescreens go, on an extended drive, the car soon gets claustrophobic with them fitted (in my mind).

I also found they continually pressed against my right shoulder, which becomes uncomfortable after a while.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had the car? I'll have to get the following sentence assigned to a hotkey I think:

'When I first got the car, I didn't think I'd ever want to drive it without the sidescreens fitted. These days, I (and my wife) barely notice they're not there. You soon get used to the buffeting'.

Andy

I've only been on the road a couple of months, i know what your saying, i may not like them after there fitted but if i don't give i a go i'll never know. I dont mind the buffeting when going round town or for a blat of 30 mins of so, but a least once or twice a month i use the car to travel quite a long distance about 300 mile round trip and would like to give it a go see if they make the journy easier, dont worry i'm not gonna do anything silly like fitting a roof to it, now that would be daft! :D

Karl

I dont mind the buffeting when going round town or for a blat of 30 mins of so, but a least once or twice a month i use the car to travel quite a long distance about 300 mile round trip and would like to give it a go see if they make the journy easier, dont worry i'm not gonna do anything silly like fitting a roof to it, now that would be daft! :D

Well, the journey will certainly be more comfortable with side screens from a buffeting and noise point of view. In wet weather they can give some protection from spray as well.

Why not ask if you can borrow a pair next time you need to make a long run, see how it goes?

Andy

Yes Mark no worries, finally got the car sorted yesterday so i'm properly on the road now.  

Now thats an idea cheers Andy

Any one got sidescreens in oxfordshire? they wouldn't mind lending me for a few days?? Beer chits involved   :D

*Edited because Andy posted same time as me :p

Most of the crew I go around with do not even have full screens, however will have ask around for you.

Any one got sidescreens in oxfordshire????

I've got a pair (after all that - they came with the car). I'm in Swindon.

As long as they came back in the same state as they leave me in, you could borrow mine.

Andy

Does your car have the 'female' bit of the hinges on it already (on the windscreen pillars)? Also, my car is a wide body, I'm assuming yours is?

The only other thing to consider is that there's a press stud that keeps them closed, you'll need the equivalent on your car. However, the one on my car is in an awkward position, in that if the seats are moved forward (to the point where Luned can actually drive the car) they cover the press stud...

Great piece of thinking there Westfield.

Andy

Yeap is a widebody and also has the female bit of the hinges in the windscreen pillar, i'm assuming its a simple male portion of the press stud i need simply rivited on?

i'm assuming its a simple male portion of the press stud i need simply rivited on?

I imagine so, but it'll be the position that's important...

Andy