• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

What Engine ?

pwright238

Looking for a SEiW for about £8k , looks like engine choice is going to be X flow , Pinto or CVH  in this price range. What are the pro's & con's of each engine (especially CVH as it does not seem to be used that much). What sort of mileage should I expect from a reasonably tuned engine before its going to need a rebuild. Also I want the car to be reliable.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

8K sees you in Zetec or Vx territory too. I wouldn't bother with anything else, unless a Toyota 4AGE engined car comes up.

Have a look on this site, findit.co.uk, autotrader.co.uk, and terrynightingale.co.uk.

Have to agree with Blatman, even if you have to stretch your budget slightley I would go for a VX or Zetec or 4Age.

Andy :t-up:

Thats not to say that there are not some Very nice CVH, X-flow, Pinto... etc engined cars around its just that you are getting into the more powerful/newer engined cars at £8K+.

Zetec or Vx territory too. I wouldn't bother with anything else

:0  :0 are you feelin ok mate :p

Like the others say, I'd be inclined to go for a VX or Zetec.  My budget didn't strech that far and I recently bought a XFlow.  Its by no means a bad option in terms of performance and its dead easy to work with but if its ultimate reliability you're after then the other engines mentioned will suit you better.  I'm already contemplating the idea of saving for a 4AGE engine for a winter bebuild.  IMO this would be the best engine to have but you will probably struggle to find a used example.  You could always find a cheaper car with one of the engines you mentioned and leave enough left over to convert it to exactly the engine you want then sell your spare engine.

For £8k you should be able to pick up a VX easily enough.  You just have to haggle (surprised Chrisbin hasn't beaten me to it!;)

We only had ~£6k so x-flow is all we could afford BUT it would of been better to save more money & get a VX powered machine.

As for the x-flow engine for reliabilty you will probably be looking at about 120-150bhp.  The engines are 'old' now & spares can be had cheaply but with a VX, get it & put Twin 45s on & you won't be too far from 200BHP from what I've read... hth

For £8k you should be able to pick up a VX easily enough.  You just have to haggle (surprised Chrisbin hasn't beaten me to it!;)

:D  :D  :D

Sorry - been doing some work this morning, for a change!!!

I would agree with everything thats been said so far.

Also, worth bearing in mind that there will be a few people asking more, and maybe getting it, during the Summer months compare to later in the year.......

Just to add to what I said in my previous post.  If you did go for one of the above engines, I would probably be inclined to go for a XFlow.  Reason being is that parts and advice are very easy to come by.  A new engine won't cost the earth if the worst should happen and the exhaust exits on the passenger side which may make life easier if you intended to change engine at any time.  Don't know a great deal about the CVH.  The pinto is a very heavy engine but can produce excellent power with a bit of fettling.  If you've got the money though, go for a modern 16valver, you know it makes sense!

:p

with a VX, get it & put Twin 45s on & you won't be too far from 200BHP from what I've read

:p  :p  :p oooh yes  :devil:  :devil:

180 actually but bear in mind performance per pound after this is definitely cheaper with a VX  ;)

with a VX, get it & put Twin 45s on & you won't be too far from 200BHP from what I've read

:p  :p  :p oooh yes  :devil:  :devil:

180 actually but bear in mind performance per pound after this is definitely cheaper with a VX  ;)

Well said that man with a flying pig for an avita :p  :0  :devil:

As it's been said before the VX needs to make a bit more power to make up for its extra porky weight

My car turns out at 304 bhp/tonne fully fuelled full tank weight 26 kg's oil and water must weigh in at about 10kg's and I have a cage on the car about [guessing] 15kg's take all that off like c******m do and it is nearer 340bhp/tonne. Dry

Fit a 275bhp Duratec and it could make aruond 540bhp/tonne DRY unless I have to add loads of weight thinking of the likes of dry sump tank and other things I have not at present.

Paul.

Fit a 275bhp Duratec and it could make aruond 540bhp/tonne DRY unless I have to add loads of weight thinking of the likes of dry sump tank and other things I have not at present.

Planning a project then Paul??

Forget all these Lardy car engine Westies - get yourself a nice lightweight Bike Engined Westie - much more fun and sooooooooooo much lighter!!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :p  :D  ;)

For abiout 8k-ish should see you in a Megablade! 6 speed sequential, 12000 revs mmmmmm :love:  :love:  :love:

Cheers

Kevin