• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

steve wilson

No that dont work either.######## ######################## oh drat.

It keeps saying " jpeg only"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• steve wilson

• Blatman

• damianc

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve has Windoze XP, and after half an hour of "phone (lack of) support", I was stumped. We tried uploading both the URL from my "avatar", and the "base" URL from the web-site from which I .........er........borrowed the pic. JPG, JPEG, and BMP file extensions were tried, but to no avail.........

Couldn't work out what image viewer Steve has though, so we're obviously missing a trick somewhere........

And I've had a bottle of red now, so don't expect any more sense out of me tonight.........hic....... :blush:

And if I'd known Steve had such a nice chest, I may have tried a bit harder..... :0  :0  :D  :D

Nope, he's using my avatar hosting service (or trying to! ), which is all browser based.

Andy

If he's on XP, wouldn't it be Windoze Internet Explorer 6.2? Unless he's using an after market upgrade.....whatever, I'm not an IT pro, so I'm going to bow out gracefully........ :blush:

My copy of XP has IE 6.0. There is a SP1 which I haven't applied.

I'm confused as to the steps he's tried. I would have had him:

1. Find the image

2. Right click, save as (save to desktop)

3. Open avatars.gentlyhosting.co.uk and log in

4. Upload the image he has just saved to the desktop.

Not sure at what point an image viewer comes into that...

Do you have MSN messenger Steve? If so, PM me your ID.

Andy

That's *exactly" what we did............except that when he double clicks the image on his system, he gets an error message (even for JPEG's) which has me somewhat confused.

We tried copy 'n' paste on the originating URL, my avatar URL, as well as typing the addresses in manually. Couldn't get it to work at all. Even XP refused to open the images. Definitely an odd one.......it's working now though, apparently, so maybe I should try phone support when I'm not half way through a bottle of Vin de Table..........

have we tried mailing the image too him?

Option 2 get his password and upload it for him (he can change his password later)

If he can't double click the downloaded image, it sounds like it didn't download properly...

Odd.

Andy

Option 2 get his password and upload it for him (he can change his password later)

Option 3. I manually change the database so that the image currently owned by Blatman is owned by him...

Andy

Open a dos shell

cd to "My Documents"

dir

and make sure that the file is named .jp[e]g

windoze has a habit of not reporting filenames properly.

Can you do an "open with" on the file using some other image viewer to make sure it's not corrupted?

Try a different http client like opera ?

My computer is a Philips intel celeron 2.0Ghz,with win xp home, 244mb RAM and AOL 8.0 . I havnt added anything else to it

Nothing odd there then...

Blatman, can I give him ownership of the image you uploaded?

Doesn't solve the problem I guess, but it'd be a good 'workaround'.

Andy