Dissy wire?

darthurs

That's where I know nothing - sorry! Someone else will, though, I'm sure. :)

Right just to re-cap.

There are the two wires off the loom to the coil, then the one off the dissy goes to the -ve side of the coil. Where does the ballast resistor goes?

Do I need one?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yep, the other end of black & white wire comes out next to the coil and attaches to the -ve terminal.  The ballast resistor is wired between the coil +ve terminal and the 12V supply from the loom.

The coil you need is for a car with points, mine is for a cortina (got it from halfords).  The ballast resistor you can get from Maplin, RS etc and should be the same resistance as the coil and rated at about 25 Watts.  They come in a little heatsink package and I riveted mine to the aluminium panel next to the coil.  It's 0.5 ohms from memory, which seems a little low so I'll check the value this evening.

Phil

I don't think you definitely need the resistor - my Pinto on points doesn't have one. It depends on the coild you have. IIRC Could be wrong?

That's the thing. I don't have a coil and was waiting to find out about this ballast resistor thingy before I went out and got the one.

Hopefully Blatman will be along soon to answer my problems soon or someone as equally as talented.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

The ballast resistor I have is 1.5 ohms.  It also says on the side of the coil "only to be used with ballast resitor 1.5ohms".

I've just had a quick search on the net and you can get 12V coils that say "use with contact breaker ignition without ballast resistor" which looks like the simplest option! :)  Look in halfords, as you can take the coils out the boxes.  

I went for the 6V coil with ballast resistor as I like the idea of shorting the resistor out on starting to get a bigger spark, but I guess it's not really necessary.

Phil

If you get a 12v. coil you do NOT need a ballast resistor. You can get a lucas sports coil which will do the job perfectly.

HTH

Pookie

Can i confirm that you have two wires on the loom that are in position next to the dissy, one of them is black and white the other i'm sure is green and black, the black and white one is for the points, the other is for the the temp sender.  I have a 2l pinto with webers and normal coil and don't have a balast resistor fitted i don't think i need one.  

HTH

Karl

Right I will sum it all up now, because I think I am there.

I asked Westfield which type of coil I needed (one for use with a ballast resistor or without) and they said give the part number off the dissy to the person you are buying the coil off and they will give you the correct one.

Now what I needed to know was (is there an in-line ballast resistor on the Westfield loom). So it threw me when I was told they would be able to tell this from the dissy part number as I didn't think the ballast resistor was anything to do with this.

So this explains me starting this thread.

Sooooooo..... what I need is an ignition coil for use on a contact points dissy without a ballast resistor.... the wire off the dissy connects to the white/black wire on the loom (next to the temp sensor wire) and this in turn connects to the -ve side of the coil.

You learn something new everyday.

See Blatman, I will be moving onto my Duratec V6 conversion next month. :D

Thanks for all the help.

Dan