Dissy wire?

darthurs

I have a wire attached to the side of my dissy.

What is it for?

Where does the other end attach to?

Sorry for all of the questions.  :zzz:

Cheers

Dan

No. There is just one.

So I assume that this is the earth (where does this go?) and someone correct me if I am wrong but your dissy might have a ballast resistor fitted so that could be what the other two wires are for? Or I could be taking through my  :arse:???

Cheers

Dan

Good idea.

Can anyone confirm if I am right about the ballast resistor and the extra wires. I need to buy a ignition coil and I don't know which one to get.

Cheers

Dan

I assume you're not talking about the wire that goes to the coil from the contact breakers (if any)? ???

Could be??

All I know is there is one wire that is coming off the dissy. I don't know what it does I only assumed it was an earth wire.

It is a Bosh Dissy without a vacuum advance, if this is any help.

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

It connects to the -ve side of the coil.  The +ve side of the coil then connects via a ballast resistor to switched 12V.  You can arrange for a relay to short out the ballast resistor during starting for a fatter spark if you like.

If you have contact breaker points you will need a ballast resistor and a coil designed to be used with the points, otherwise you'll burn the points and will be forever adjusting them.

Phil

That has confused me even more.

I will put a pic of the dissy and wire in a sec once I figure out how to do it.

Cheers

Dan

Don't know if this helps but the wire to the coil from the contacts is usually black and white. I'm not sure at all what I'm looking at in your picture. Unless it's that rubber connector with a green wire next to it.

Yep, there is a white + black stripe wire with female spade connector on that comes out of the loom right next to the dizzy.  It connects to this.  

Phil

The green wire on the dizzy is the condenser wire the black wire with the shroud goes to the negative side of the coil either directly or indirectly (through the loom).

HTH

Pookie

This is making sense now as I didn't know what the black/white wire off the loom was for.

So where does this ballast resistor come into the equation then?

Thanks for the help. :)

Dan