Number plate

TJWilliams

mines mounted horizotally on angle brackets on that flat bit of the nose acting like a front wing Seeing as I have never been pulled over in the westie (which is a suprise considdering some of the stupid things I have done) I guess it's ok

Well at least the helicopters can see it :D

I guess plod are more worried about rear number plates being the correct size and stuff

I mounted mine on the shelf in the garage - it's great, no tax, MOT or insurance to pay.  And then you can fit a silly plate like this one:

1212.jpeg

Please note novice cross is no longer on the car.....  :D

Stick on plate on the top of the nose cone.

Had the car for nearly 3 years and was like that when I bought it.

As someone else mentioned, you are unlikely to get any grief unless you were doing something stupid.........in which case the number plate will be the least of your worries :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

David

Have noticed that a lot of VX220's are driving around without front number plates....

• 2 weeks later...
On way to SVA I drove past the local mobile camera van with no plates at all - He was not interested - guess it would not be lucrative enough to chase me and lose all the revenue while he was doing it .....

I think that sometimes the mobile vans are actually staffed by civilians (thought I read this on either blatchat or PistonHeads after a post on here).

Anyone?

Andy

i have my front plate stowed in the passenger footwell, the other half spotted a couple of truvelos on the way back from stoneliegh! i said  :D  for the camera :t-up: i did see one car with what looked like hinges on the front plate mounted under the nose, probably to avoid kerbs! but it might fold under the nose at speed :t-up:  :cool:

Yes they do fold under at speed! - I have mine on a piano type hinge under the nose.  If you do it this way make sure the plate can swing both ways - otherwise it'll fold as you go over an obstacle, but rip itself off if you reverse.

Only possible drawback is that it may act as a 'lifting wing' at speed, but with an '8', thats not usually a concern.

I think that sometimes the mobile vans are actually staffed by civilians (thought I read this on either blatchat or PistonHeads after a post on here).

Anyone?

Andy

Yes Andy you are right. There was a link to Pistonheads well over a year ago.

If the van only had 1 operator he would just stick with the camara. If it had 2 operators, his sidekick would look out the front of the van and note the number plate as the motorbike went passed.

So.......so long as motorcyclist sped up to the van.........then got off and pushed their bike away backwards they were fine  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

David

Just thinking of a motorcyclist pushing his bike away made me chuckle - I sometimes wonder at the mentality of the people in this forum :D:D:D

Tigger

The only trouble with that is you need to be able to push the bike backwards faster than the van operator can run. This can be difficult with a big bike.......

Me, I keep a screwdriver handy. It's quicker to whip the plate off  :D:D:D