Going to look at SEIW...Need Advice Please

perksy

Going to look at a Year 2000 Built One owner SEIW and i would appreciate some advice what to look out for and what you lads think it's worth (I'm Not a Mechanical Newbie but this Would be My First Westy)

Spec is:

2 Litre Zetec with Dunnel Head ,Solid Lifters,High Pressure Oil Pump, Throttle Bodies and Modified Sump.

5 Speed Type 9 Gearbox, LSD, Disc Braked Rear Axle, Alloys and Chrome Pack Etc.

What Oil Pressure should it have ?

What should it say on the Log Book etc ?

Sorry for all the Questions But i Don't want to make a Costly Mistake

:down:  :arse:  :bangshead:

Thanks....

perksy,

if your not a mechanical newbie it should be fairly easy!!

if you look at the car and you see any bodges you can guarentee there will be a load more you cant see....

if its pleasing to the eye and doesnt look like stevie wonder built it then thats a good start.just make sure you have a good look every where fisrt!!dont drive it before you do as you will be blinded by the thrill and you would buy even if it only had three wheels!!!

engine wise all you can really do is check for any noises that dont sound like they should be there!!look at colour of exhaust fumes,check coolant,oil,and so on.

price wise,if its really tidy and well put togehter then your prob looking at least 8k upwards....

hope some of this helps mate,if not then sorry to waste your time..

will :t-up:

Thanks for that Will :t-up:

Found quite a bit of Info' in the Search section, perhaps thats why only you replied  :oops:

Anyway been to see the Car, and it wasn't the one for me :down:

So carry on looking and hopefully find the right one soon... :cool:  :xmas:

Good luck in your hunting.........you'll know when you have found the right car!

Where abouts are you......is there a local WSCC member near you that could help?

:cool:

some advice what to look out for

Lots of bills and info on the build etc, that the car looks pampered and well looked after and not thrown together in a hurry.

The car is treated with care and loving attention during the test drive (OK, as long as it's allowed to warm up properly before being hammed etc etc)

RR report would be nice... not so much for the final power, but for the improvement made - just for interest really.

No fluid leaks, the brakes work, the wheels are in good nick...

The logbook should tell you it's a Westfield and what model Westfield it is and as a bonus has words to the effect that is a Kit-car in the notes section (nice but not too much of a biggie)

Do you like the colour, do you fit, do you like the noise etc etc

All SEiW (i = independent rear suspension) are disk all round, most SEW (Live axle) are disk front/Drum rear but some have been converted to disks.

But, in my view the best indicator is the car should look well cared for and well engineered and have lots of paper records of what's been done to it.

On the 'worth' side... what are you prepared to pay to get a good car? Then work forward/back from that.

Good luck with the hunt.

JC

Edited for:

Goodies to look for... Ali front uprights, four pot ali front calipers, AVO shocks rather than Spax - ali ones are nice as well, ARB, Pretty clocks, ali front hubs, RAC roll-over bar, AP brake master cylinder, light weight wheels, sticky tyres  :D  :D  :D

All SEiW (i = independent rear suspension) are disk all round

Err, not all are. Some early ones especially those with Westfield's own dif and huge thick half shafts, had Drum rear brakes.

Some early ones especially those with Westfield's own dif and huge thick half shafts, had Drum rear brakes.

errrmmmm not  exactly - this was at the early stages of disc option availability  ;)  ;) and a lot were fitted with disc's ... but not all

Nothing can be taken for granted with looking at Westfields ............... so many options  ;)  ;)  :D

Good reading, i'm also going to have a look at a SEIW (1999 i think) 1800 zetec tomorrow, i am a wetie newbie, but think i'm fairly clued up as far as mechanics go.

The one i'm looking at is in a garage that mainly deals with cobra replica's so hopefully they won't be a back street outfit.

Will keep my eyes peeled for build history, things that 'don't look quite right' etc.

Will let you know how it goes.

Sovereign cars by ant chance?

They have had a Yellow in the showroom for quite some time. If it is this one, and it's the right car for you, haggle hard, it is bound to be costing him money by now and may well want the cash.

Sovereign Cars, thats the one, i have a Focus ST170 to p/ex so will bargain very hard. Bascially don't won't to give him any money !!

2 Litre Zetec with Dunnel Head ,Solid Lifters,High Pressure Oil Pump, Throttle Bodies and Modified Sump.

5 Speed Type 9 Gearbox, LSD, Disc Braked Rear Axle, Alloys and Chrome Pack Etc.

See if the history file backs up the claims made for the goody bits. Most of us keep receipts for these sorts of things, so I would expect to see receipts for the lifters, the oil pump, the bodies and the sump, as well as receipts from various others (or Dunnel) for gaskets/sealant/sundries used for fitting. If the mods can't be proved by production of a receipt or two, how do you *know* they've been done? This is a potential haggling point too........