Best tyres on 13" for Class A

fordy

Gonna change my wheels to 13", and wondering what the best tyre for class A is, yoko539?, bridgestone?,  or are there better tyres for class A available in 15" and i should stick with those?

PS - i have very heavy 15" on at the mo, and im gonna save some 20-25Kgs by going 13", BUT if the tyres for 13" are rubbish then maybe the saving is not worthwhile??

thanks for any advice.

PS - To others in Class A, have no fear about suggesting good tyres to me - im rubbish so i wont be beating you :) - i think i came last in the 2 races i did last year

Most of us go 15". The tyre to have was the Bridgestone SO2 but now these are unavailable A539's are as good as any.

It's the old grip versus handling argument and the grip from 15" wins the day on the stopwatch and trophy cabinet.

WOW, i like your paint job.

I do remember that unsprung makes more difference - didnt realise its was a high as 4-1 - that means im effectivley shedding nearly 100KGs of sprung weight - now that will definitely make a difference. Maybe that explains why i was so crap last year (yeah right!!;)

cheers

Most of us go 15". The tyre to have was the Bridgestone SO2 but now these are unavailable A539's are as good as any.

It's the old grip versus handling argument and the grip from 15" wins the day on the stopwatch and trophy cabinet.

I thought that argument had never been settled - some prefer the feel of 13s to 15s - How come all the slick boys are running on 13s?  

Maybe IF 15s are better and have better tyre availability i should just go for some lighter 15s - like OZ suppaleggras - i did look at this a while ago and i cant remember why i got convinced about the 13" route - i just dont know what to do :(

cheers

Chris

How come all the slick boys are running on 13s?

Cos they get extra grip cos they're slicks I guess.

Andy

should just go for some lighter 15s - like OZ suppaleggras - i did look at this a while ago and i cant remember why i got convinced about the 13" route -

Oz Superleggeras are good but expensive. If you have deep pockets go for it.

Personally I'd spend around half that money on some 13" wheels and tyres and spend the rest on some lessons. :D

How come all the slick boys are running on 13s?

Cos slicks are cheaper/more plentiful in 13".

AFAIK it did get "settled" in that the general consensus was to run 13" for slicks/sticky rubber (to save weight and cos the rubber is cheaper etc etc), and 15" for road legal stuff (cos the tyres were better and there's more choice).

I seem to recall (and Blatman is the expert here), that 13" gave a more progressive feel, as there was more tyre to bend.  Whereas a lower profile 15" would just let go.  

Personally I ran 15" on my Westie cos those were the wheels on it when I bought it!  I now run 13" on my race car cos I have to.  Either way, I ran/run Yoko 539s.  Set of 4 buffed down to 4mm for about £230. And yes buffing does make a difference (as long as you drive hared enough to notice)

Dickie

Fordy - Mrs Westy's link tells it as is, take note of what Guy says, stick with your 15"

When was the last time you saw a List 1A shod Westy on 13" wheels take a 1st trophy at any event recently - doesn't happen. Virtually all the class records are on 15"

Theory is okay for armchair racing - but it's the clock that counts.  :D

Not getting involved......  :p:p

Not like you........ go on do a search :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Thanks Mrs Westy.

I noticed that i had posted in that thread - my memory is obvioulsy going - Anyway it has convinced me to save some money and stick with my current 15s and get some new Yokos or some 2nd hand SO2s

If anyone has some 15" supaleggras going cheap, then ill bite your hand off :)

cheers

Chris