• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

The Meandering Thoughts of a Fickle Mind & Potential Regret (Anyone Else Like Me?)

Westygav

Stuart, yes I bought it off Mark. It does have some nice fancy bits on the car and I've added to it too. One of the 'things' I've done is, I put a light weight flywheel, on it over the winter break, new 4 paddle clutch plate and that's made a fantastic difference.

It wasn't cheap either, so the placebo effect is definitely telling me it's made a fantastic difference. 😁

flywheel 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Westygav said:

Stuart, yes I bought it off Mark. It does have some nice fancy bits on the car and I've added to it too. One of the 'things' I've done is, I put a light weight flywheel, on it over the winter break, new 4 paddle clutch plate and that's made a fantastic difference.

It wasn't cheap either, so the placebo effect is definitely telling me it's made a fantastic difference. 😁

flywheel 1.jpg

I did the same upgrade to mine, definitely makes the car more lively and makes the old "heel and toe" action so much fun!

• Like 1

I've had 48 cars in my tIme, and 28 motorbikes, and regret selling all but three of them.

The three I don't regret - a Viva HC 1.8 (had the power of the 1.3 and the thirst of the 2.3), and a 1980 Honda Prelude and a 1980's Toyota Cressida, both of which had more bog than steel in their bodies (and I put more bog in to sell them both).

• Haha 2

You have beaten me by some margin @BigSkyBrad 

I came to 4 wheels late in life, wasn't until I past my 4 wheeled test when I was 26.

So Just 5 ( 6 with Westy but I still have that ) cars and 7 motorbikes and 3 Robins ( depends if you call those cars?) I regret selling one car and just one bike, they were a Volvo 740 Turbo estate and a Honda VF 750 FD. Have been looking at those on for sale adverts and both are quite silly money today.

• Like 1

I was a lot like you, Gav, in my younger days.  From 16 onward for about 12 years I had 26 motorbikes - at one point having 4.  I just got bored after 6 months.  Regret selling most of them, and not keeping them longer to let the relationship blossom.  The one I regret most was the Moto Guzzi Mk1 LeMans, not because it was the nicest bike to ride (I had others which were better) but I feel I could have grown into it. It was such a good looking bike, and people still talk about them with reverence.    On the subject of buying again, I had a Montesa Cota 250 trials bike which I sold and some years later bought the self same bike back.

• Like 2

@Howard  As a kid I dreamt for a Montesa Cota 348, but in NZ back in those days a European bike was a rare thing - a Yamaha TY was as close as I got.

@BigSkyBrad The TYs were a very good bike, as you'll know.  I rode a friends Cota 348 and it was an absolute bulldozer. So torquey I found it difficult to control.  Same day I rode another friends Kawasaki KT250 (very rare beast) and it was a revelation. Steered beautifully and so well mannered, could find traction anywhere. Surprised they never caught on.  I still fancy an old Sherpa 250 twin shock to play with though.

On 06/05/2024 at 08:21, Howard said:

I was a lot like you, Gav, in my younger days.  From 16 onward for about 12 years I had 26 motorbikes - at one point having 4.  I just got bored after 6 months.  

I have to say, I managed to get out on Sunday evening for a couple of hours around some of my favourite roads in the Peaks. I much prefer to go out either first thing in the morning (early) or late evening to avoid as much traffic as possible. It was one of the best drives I've ever had, absolutely brilliant fun. 

The car was super smooth (as it always is), I came across very little traffic, the weather was near perfect too. I was driving around thinking, 'I CAN'T SELL THIS, it's bl**** amazing!! But that was Sunday, we'll see what my annoyingly fickle mind will conjure up in the next couple of weeks. 😆

3 minutes ago, Westygav said:

I have to say, I managed to get out on Sunday evening for a couple of hours around some of my favourite roads in the Peaks. I much prefer to go out either first thing in the morning (early) or late evening to avoid as much traffic as possible. It was one of the best drives I've ever had, absolutely brilliant fun. 

The car was super smooth (as it always is), I came across very little traffic, the weather was near perfect too. I was driving around thinking, 'I CAN'T SELL THIS, it's bl**** amazing!! But that was Sunday, we'll see what my annoyingly fickle mind will conjure up in the next couple of weeks. 😆

All I have to say on that is, ( and I have done this more than once myself) to either take pics ( video is even better ) of that memorable drive, and the next time you get itchy feet , just go back to that drive and remember how you felt and why you still own the car. End of sermon, lol. 

• Like 1

That's a damn good idea sir! 

• Like 1