Clutch slipping when cold?

Dracoro

It seems like the clutch slips a bit in lower gears when cold or under full acceleration. Not much though, just a little to get me wondering, is this normal? Does a clutch need to 'warm up' before it works at it's best? Am happy to replace it if need be  but don't want to do so and find out that it's normal or a 'feature'.

How much would a new clutch cost? how much to fit etc.? Are there 'good' clutches to get that would improve things?

It's a 2.0 VX mated to a 6 speed caterham close ratio box.

Sounds to me (but I'm no expert) like your clutch needs replacing. For a Westfield clutch to slip (having to drag along such a small amount of weight) it must be pretty knackered.

IMO. YMMV. IANAM :D

Andy

Sounds to me (but I'm no expert) like your clutch needs replacing. For a Westfield clutch to slip (having to drag along such a small amount of weight) it must be pretty knackered.

IMO. YMMV. IANAM :D

Andy

in my opinion i got, whats the other 2?

Your Mileage May Vary

I Am Not A Mechanic (should really be IANAL - lawyer).

HTH

HAND

:D

Andy

But these are abbreviations, nt wrds u cnt b rsd 2 pt vwls in.

Andy

:t-up:

What was this thread about again?

Andy

bggrd if i no...

does sound like your clutch is b*******ed...

standard clutches (vauxhall ones) shouldn't be too much from a decent parts shop...

as for fitting, clutches arn't difficult to fit if you know what your doing, however a decent garage shouldn't charge the earth to do it for you.

uprated ones are available, from "fast road" to "race" have a look in demon tweeks for some inspiration.

dont know the vx setup but if it is a hydraulic setup it may just be a sticky slave cylinder, if it is cable operated your clutch or release bearing!

First check the clutch release mech. is clearing sufficiently.

It might be as simple as adjusting the cable, especially if its a new clutch as a new clutch will bed in and require an initial adjustment.

FWIW, clutches tend to slip more when hot, not cold. Secondly, they also tend to show their slippage in higher gears because the engine can develop more torque against a higher gear. Are you sure it's not wheelspin? This might seem like a stupid question and I don't mean to imply you cannot tell the difference but the end result is similar - rising revs with no commensurate speed increase. Just a thought. ???:)

Oh, and as said previously by the other posters, check the release is fully clearing - if it's a cable a bit of slack before the pedal is loaded by the clutch is always a good idea.  ???

Another thought: if the speedo shows a speed increase when the revs rise, it's wheelspin. If the speedo remains at the same reading and the revs go up significantly, it's the clutch. :p