A Pizza and a Pint in the Peaks, Sun 28 Jan

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

7 minutes ago, Rob Hunter - Club Secretary said:

Sorry I missed it, didn't get back until midnight from the Speed Series awards night!

yes, you were missed 

7 minutes ago, Rob Hunter - Club Secretary said:

Been chatting with @Jakejmagee and offered the collective help.

Looks to me that the previous owner has had an issue with that upright previously as both bolts have been helicoiled....

it’s not unusual to use helicoils in aluminium to enable the course helicoil outer to give a steel bolt a good strong fastening. Hispec do similar on their uprights. 

it’s had us all scratching our heads as he’s not hit anything and wasn’t putting any steering load in at the time of failure etc

• Like 1

Great run Julie many thanks and you’ll be glad to know Vicki got her cake😁… and me of course.

IMG_0988.jpeg

• Like 3

That looks nasty, hope he's ok and the car isn't too beaten. Might be good to also talk with the guys at Tiger to check if they had other similar failures, and if new uprights are stronger. If Tiger cars use the same Cortina geometry, then I think he can use Westfield uprights, while if they use Sierra stuff, MK have some nice solutions.

• Thanks 1

As somebody else as said lucky he wasn’t on the main road. It looks to me the hellicoils are too short, only about half the bolt thread in the hellicoil, different lengths are available to obtain the correct strength.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for a great run out everyone, particularly to Julie for organising. It’s unusual to see my TVR looking bigger than anything else and good to stretch its legs 😊
Good luck to Jake in sorting out the damage 

• Like 3